Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth the switch? from 2012 to 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
392 Views, 3 Replies

Is it worth the switch? from 2012 to 2014

Is it worth the switch from Civil 3D 2012 to 2014? We do Survey's, Subdivisions, commercial development etc. I know the file version changes which is a pain, but is there enough improvements in the software (even autocad side) for the jump. TIA

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mark_Castle
in reply to: Anonymous

I've worked with both versions, and I think the biggest addition with 2014 over 2012 would be pressure pipe networks. I have not yet personally worked with pressure netorks, but my understanding is the routines are not yet as polished as those for gravity pipes. Another reason to jump to 2014 would be Windows 8 compatibility. Vanilla AutoCAD 2013 works with Win 8, but no 2012 versions work correctly as far as I know. Also, 2014 is only available in 64 bit.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Mark_Castle

Plus, 2013 DWG support for working with others drawing files both in Civil3D and run-as-AutoCAD.  Not that you couldn't use TrueConvert to downsave, but after a while you'll be taking more and more time converting files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
fcernst
in reply to: Anonymous

Not worth it for your engineers to switch. 

The Section Editor does not work properly. How could they release the software without this key design component working correctly?

The legacy of defects in 2012 have gone unaddressed and are still present in the 2014 version. Defects with QTO, the Road Rehab subassemblies, Daylight Standard, DaylightInsideoROW, SAC API functions, etc. ..all still exisit.

There is also no real difference in innovation between the two versions other than being able to Target XREF entities, but since the Section Editor is down, the software is not being implemeted by many to even use this feature..

There are no new subassemblies...no innovation in Road Rehab or Ditch design tools.

No innovation in SAC.

No innovation in the drainage design workflows.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report