Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersections don't model Top of Curb

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tjbrace
1357 Views, 13 Replies

Intersections don't model Top of Curb

I model Top of Curb with my Corridors. Our pavement section has a 2% cross slope. Depending on the width of the road, the Top of Pavement is either above or below the Top of Curb, but never even. It works fine on everything but Intersections because the Intersection Wizard creates its own offset alignments and profiles based on the slope of the pavement. BUT it begins at the Assembly Insertion Point and not the ACTUAL top of pavement. Basically I move the pavement vertically until the Top of Curb is even with the Assembly Insertion Point. This makes the Profile elevation = Top of Curb. I have attempted to add an Offset Assembly and attach the pavement to that, but got the same results. So, how do I get the Intersection Wizard to recognize this offset? My Assembly is attached as a pic. Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jeff_rivers
in reply to: tjbrace

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish- pehaps you can explain further?

When you say you 'model top of curb', I see in the attached picture you have a normal curb-and-gutter assembly attached to your lane assembly. And I see a red dashed line leading from the crown of the lane to the TOC.

Do you want TOC elevations to appear in the profile view elevation band? That's my guess, but I could be wrong.

If I am correct, how about extracting TOC as a profile, then adding that to your profile view? Or am I missing something?

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 3 of 14
sboon
in reply to: jeff_rivers

I believe that the OP is designing the road using the centerline as the horizontal control point, and the top of curb as the vertical control.  If the road cross section is constant then that could work.  Notice in the picture that he has moved the assemblies so that the crown is below the assembly insertion point.

For the OP - you would probably be better off if you change the assemblies used for curb returns so that their baseline is at the top/back of curb instead of at the edge of the gutter.  That way your curb design profiles would work directly, without any need for adjustments.  Note - this would also mean that your curb alignments would have to follow the back of curb.  You would also have to set the lane slope defaults in the intersection wizard to zero.

Can you post a sample drawing, that I can experiment with?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 14
tjbrace
in reply to: sboon

Well, when I say that I "model the top of curb" it means that the Profile for the Centerline represents the top of curb elevation. In actuality, you are always modeling center of pavement. But by moving my Subassemblies down, I can force the profile to = top of curb elevation. All is well until you need something to target the actual top of pavement at centerline.

PROBLEM 1: Subassemblies only target profiles, which is why I believe I need to add an "expression" for lack of a better term to tell the subassembly to target the profile, but then subtract 0.2008' from that elevation. But that is only one of the issues with these intersections.

PROBLEM 2: The other being that the profile for the offset alignment winds up 0.2008' too high as well due to being offset from the profile at -2.0% for 13.5'.

I am intrigued by the suggestion made to change the connection point of the curb for the curb return align/prof but do not know how to do that. I will attach my drawing so you can tinker with it. For some reason now the pavement and sidewalk are not being created even though the target align/prof appears to be correct. Sheesh!

I think that maybe if I leave my subassemblies at their current -2.008' offset but change the Slope in the Intersection Wizard to -2.85% for the 36' road and -3.49% for the 30' road from their normal -2.0% I may actually get the edge of pavement and curb return profiles at the correct elevation. That potentially solves PROBLEM 2 but I do not see a solution to the issue of targeting back to the centerline profile mentioned in PROBLEM 1.

Many thanks for the assistance!

teej

Message 5 of 14
fcernst

All is well until you need something to target the actual top of pavement at centerline.

People who need to model by TOC or Gutter Flowline profiles have to construct their Assembly backwards in Civil 3D:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/TC-profile-to-C-amp-G-subassembly/m-p/4430311...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: fcernst

I agree this is the way to go Fred but doesn't the link on the generic subassembly need to be turn off in the code set to prevent modeling issues?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
fcernst
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Doesn't seem to be so far.... What issues are you thinking John?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 14
MikeEvansUK

Why don't you just use a generic link of kerb height & width extract as a profile and edit to suit then target the generic link to follow the profile?

This is what I have done for transitions in the kerb line.

And yes to previous, to save confusion in editor and section views turn off any unneeded generic links when "working backwards" I can get quite complicated. You can always turn them back on from main assembly properties.

There is of there is another way without links. Multiple baselines and profiles with the marked point but that's a lot of hassle really.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 9 of 14
Jeff_M
in reply to: fcernst

I see your link from the CL to the gutter flowline. I don't think I'd want that to display in my sections. Using the Omit link option will hide it.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 14
tjbrace
in reply to: Jeff_M

That's not a link. Just a line to highlight the fact that top of curb is equal to assembly insertion point.

teej
Message 11 of 14
Jeff_M

teej, my reply was to Fred in regards to his image.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 12 of 14
tjbrace

Sorry. I prob shouldn't do this from my phone. I just got an email with your message. I will get on my PC and chk the entire thread.

teej
Message 13 of 14
fcernst

Using the Omit link option will hide it.

Yes, I toggle Omit Link when I don't want to see it anymore. That method consists of less steps than turning off its display through Code Set manipulation.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 14
fcernst
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This technique does not work on transitions though. We have to go back to the tedious overhead of using Offset Assemlblies just to get orthogonal Links to obtain correct elevations through sidewalks and channels.

I wish orthogonal Links were inherent in Civl 3D.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report