Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection - Define Curb Return Profile by... Vertical Curves?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mrthra
1396 Views, 6 Replies

Intersection - Define Curb Return Profile by... Vertical Curves?

Hi all,

For some reason, the default and only option for a curb return profile is JOINING TANGENTS. Obviously this is not always suitable, and other software I have used will calculate vertical curves rather than a straight line.

Is there a reason why JOINING TANGENTS appears to be the only option for creating the curb return profiles? Please see image below of the menu area i am working in.......

Thanks for your help in advance!

Capture.JPG

Using AutoCAD 2014 & Civil 3D 2015
AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mrthra

this doesn't answer your question , in the wizard you can assign a user defined profile for your returns

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mrthra
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for your quick reponse Joe,

I have run through the wizard and am unable to see where i can define / input a user defined profile? Presumably it is somewhere in the Geometry details menu?

Essentially what i am doing at the moment is creating the profile with joining tangents then going in and fixing it manually with vertical curves which seems a bit crazy to me.

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mrthra

It is in an odd Place: the lane slope parameters page allows you to selecat a user defined profile.

laneSlope.png

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

It seems to me you are selecting the lane slope profiles not the curb return profiles..

Plus the question was why can't i change it from "joining tangent". Which is an excellent question because occasionally i get the same problem.. 

Unless Joe you are saying that If i specify a lane slope profile it enables an options other than "joining tangent"? I might try this now.

intersectioncurbreturns.png

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 6 of 7

Nope thats doesnt change anything...

Seems the only solution is to unlock and manually edit the curb return fillets.

I swear this used to only be a problem in 2010. This curb return below seem relatively easy to generate a basic reverse curve on to me.

"i have drawn the orange line on manually"

intersectioncurbreturns-2.png

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 7 of 7
mrthra
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

Yes you are correct, the only solution is to create the vertical curves manually as you have demonstrated.

There is no official resolution to this at the moment. I have been in contact with our reseller's tech team and they have confirmed the joining tangents option is the ONLY option.

HOWEVER! There is a piece of bolt on software in the market at the moment which has some nifty features which resolve this issue. One of which is to create vertical curves between incoming and outgoing curb return tangents. http://usa.cgsplus.com/Products/CGSCivil3DTools/AlignmentandProfiles.aspx

Autodesk need to get this integrated into Civil 3D!! Users shouldnt have to pay for a feature which is clearly essential with road design.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report