Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersecting & Clipping Corridors

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Chris_Warren
1117 Views, 5 Replies

Intersecting & Clipping Corridors

Hi,

I have a drainage ditch that I've created a corridor for. Nothing difficult, just daylight to an existing surface. The problem I'm having is with an existing culvert that I need to pick up the drainage from. I created a corridor that will connect into my main channel using the same assembly. I now have two overlapping corridors. Is it possible to trim or clip them so they fit together? Or do I have to detach the and modify the surfaces and leave the corridors alone? I'm using 2011.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: Chris_Warren

It's certainly possible, but it will be a few different regions, targets, and assemblies.  Given your sketch, I would be inclined to do this using grading tools instead of a corridor.  It will be far easier to clean up the intersection.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: mathewkol

I might add that it is really easy using Sincpac since you can daylight Feature Lines and/or 3D Polylines.

Bill

Message 4 of 6
bcsurvey

My issue is similar - I have a corridor that make a +/- 90 bend and I have it daylighted down to another surface.  This has created a region of "overlap" in the vicinity of the radial point of the turn in roadway.  When I generate corridor surface, the surface is clipped at the LOWEST points in the overlap.  This creates extremely steep grades.  How do I get the surface to clip to the higher point?  This should result in a match line from outtermost point of region to radial point of curve, where all intended side slopes from one leg of corridor hold to the point where they match those coming from the other leg of corridor.

I had a thought while wriing the above that I could make a surface of just one half of the corridor (ending at mid-curve point) and then match the surface from the other to the first surface.  But I'm having problems getting to this solution.  I hope there's a simple setting that uses the higher of two overlapping corridors.

Thanks!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 5 of 6
nilesh33

Hi,

You can not clip the corridors, but you can clip the surfaces at 'exact intersection'.

To clip the surfaces 

1. Create new TIN volume surface and compare both surface.

2. Now create a new surface style or use existing style in which keep only 'border & major contour' on in display.

3. Edit the cotour interval to say 1000

4. Now you can see extact intersection boundary.

5. Use extract objets command and extract border with major contour.

6. Copy them and put them in new file. Use map clean command to clean thsese lines. 

7. Now use a bondry command to create closed polygons

8. Add these polygons as a boundaries to respective two surfaces.

9. Finally if you want single surface of both trenches, just make new surface and paste these two togther in defination.

if it is not clear, let me know. 

"Please accept this as solution, if is usefull"

Message 6 of 6
bcsurvey
in reply to: nilesh33

Thanks for the response.  I think I did basically what you describe:

I made 2 separate corridors, being matched at the midpoint of the curve.

The tangent section of first corridor I matched to the base surface on either side, and the curve region of this corridor I matched to base surface on outside of curve, and to a polyline target on inside of curve, holding 2% downslope.  I then generated a surface for this corridor.

For the second corridor, I had 3 regions:  the remaining portion of the curve, which I matched to base surface on outside of curve and to polyline on inside (similar to curve region of first corridor); then the tangent portion that contained an intersecting component with surface of first corridor tangent, which I matched to said surface, and to base surface on other side; then a region of the remaining piece of tangent which I matched to base surface on either side.  I then made a surface from this second corridor, which gave me the nice line of match between the two interior slopes.

I then extracted the boundary of the second surface and used the resulting line as a part of a new boundary for first surface.  This gave me just what I was looking for, but I still think there is an easier way to do this.  Perpahs future releases will contain routines that can accomplish this with fewer steps.

I would mark your response as solution . . . if I were the OP.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report