Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersect two gradings

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Neilw_05
819 Views, 14 Replies

Intersect two gradings

I'm a bit perpplexed about a very simple grading scenario: intersect the daylighting of two gradings as shown in the screen capture. I would like a solution that is dynamic to changes in either of the 2 gradings.

The intended result is in the 3D PDF.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil

I dont understand the overlap of the two. Could you giv a bit more detail?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
graf_p

I'm thinking while I'm typing here, so hopefully this makes sense.

Create 2 compostites surfaces:

1. Create surface named EX_ROAD and paste in the Existing surface and then the Road surface.

2. Create surface named EX_DITCH and paste in the Existing surface and then the Ditch surface.

Then Daylight the Road (grading object or corridor)  to EX_DITCH surface & Daylight the Ditch (grading object or corridor)  to EX_ROAD

One last thing, Make you composite surfaces a "no display" surface too.

Message 4 of 15
Neilw_05
in reply to: graf_p

The problem I have is if I create the intermediate surfaces to use as targets, I can't get them to clean up to form the intersection as shown in the PDF. I can get the road to match the ditch or the ditch to match the road but not both. Ultimately both the ditch and the road need to be pasted into a final finished surface.

The only solution I can come up with is to explode the gradings and manually trim out the featurelines to get the desired result. On a project where this type of intersection occurs frequently that is not a practical solution.

If someone can put together a simple example to show how it works it might help.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 15
graf_p

Iam sorry. I guess I don't get it then. Getting multple grading objects to interact is a constant struggle for me.. Now this it's not a solution, but I always end up extracting my proposed grading contours to it own drawing & then clean up the polylines using the mapclean function and makes tweaks such as filleting the polyline contours to make the look pretty. Any contours that Civil 3D creates, beyond a simple corridor or grading object pad, never passes our quality control for how a grading plan should look. Too many jagged lines & weird breaks.

Message 6 of 15
Neilw_05

Perhaps it's not clear from the explanation. In order for the gradings to have a solution the ditch and the road have to overlap. Therein lies the problem. I don't know how to clean up the overlap using the intermediate surface approach.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 15
Neilw_05

Well I'm feeling a bit foolish. The solution is simple. Using an intermediate surface that includes the EG and the ditch as a target for the road, I establish the match between the road and ditch. Then in the FG surface I first paste the ditch,  then the road. The road wipes out the ditch overlap leaving a perfect seam. No need for the 2nd intermediate surface.

Sorry for the confusion.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

If the issue is simply getting two gradings to interact. Civil 3D will not interact gradings unless they are of the same Site. This works much in the same fashion that feature lines work, in that feature lines within a common Site will interact with each other, while feature lines in seperate Sites will not interact.

In order to create a link in the gradings between your ditch and road, create both in the same Site, and Civil 3D will automatically merge the two.

HTH.

-owenmull

Message 9 of 15
graf_p

Good job.  Smiley Happy That does make sense. No need to feel foolish.

Message 10 of 15
Neilw_05

Interacting the gradings is not the answer for the reason I tried to explain. There is no simple way I can see to get the 2 gradings to cleanup precisely. I think it will require using intersectiing surfaces.

If you have a dataset can you run through the exercise and present the workflow? It shouldn't take much time. If you do, please use a skewed ditch relative to the roadway for a realistic scenario.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I started sketching your scenario and had a thought: Maybe the intersection wizard could help?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I definitely don't want to create alignments and profiles for somethng like this Joe. This is a very common grading scenario so K.I.S.S. applies.

The intermediate surface approach works ok but if it can be done with just gradings that would be best.

Thanks for looking at this.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

So the algorithm steps are as follows?

1. Surface-EG

2. Surface-Ditch

3. Surface Composite- EG_Ditch

4. Grading-Road withTarge Surface Composite-EG-Ditch

5. Surface Road

6. Surface Composite-EG_Ditch_Road

Message 14 of 15
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

You got it.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

A little tip to help keep things simple and in order.

When I create compostite surfaces I name them as below.

EG1

Corridor 1 - TOP

COMP1 - EG1 with Cord 1 TOp
Pond1  - (this uses COMP1 as its EG surface)

COMP2 - COMP1 with Pond1

Parkinglot 1 - (This uses COMP2 as it EG surface)

COMP3 - COMP2 with Parkinglot 1

ETC

I've seen projects with up to 9 composite surfaces all working in full harmony! Also a prime example of when to use data shortcuts, just make sure to toggle the rebuild Automatic for all above surfaces. Also make note that you can also do some simple edits to each of these comp surfaces if required to get them to look proper.  i.e.  swap edge

Bill Neuhauser P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report