Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insertion Rim Behavior Question

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cloquet
2958 Views, 10 Replies

Insertion Rim Behavior Question

Under Structure Properties, I go to change the Insertion Rim Elevation, set it to false, and then enter my calculated top of casting elevation...but as soon as I hit apply it jumps back to it's defaulted elevation.

I know the reason has something to do with the surface, but can't figure out how to fix it???

Is there a way to get around this so that I can enter whatever elevation I have calculated?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
owensharp
in reply to: cloquet

Did you setting the reference surface to none and then set the rim elevation you desire? That has worked in the past for me.

Civil 3d 2022.1 Update 64 bit Windows 10 Enterprise Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v3 3.1GHz 4 Core 30GB RAM
Message 3 of 11
cloquet

Yes...under the Pipe Network Properties, I changed the Default Surface to none, but when i created the Network I had a suface assigned.

Do you think that I need to redraw the Network with "none" set as the surface from the get go?

Message 4 of 11
owensharp

No, have you ran an audit on the drawing? It sounds like you might have an error within the drawing.

Civil 3d 2022.1 Update 64 bit Windows 10 Enterprise Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v3 3.1GHz 4 Core 30GB RAM
Message 5 of 11
cloquet
in reply to: owensharp

Just ran an audit...still not working?

Message 6 of 11
jmayo-EE

Try swapping the pipe with a very small diameter as a check. If you can then hold the desired rim elevation the pipe is too large for the structure and it is poping above the surface.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
cloquet
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Changeing the Pipe diameters didn't work?

Message 8 of 11
jmayo-EE

Can you post a dwg?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Matt.Anderson

The most likely scenario is that the elevation that you entered as a RIM elevation is lower than the sum of the distance between the Rim and Invert.  (Top of Pipe + Barrel Pipe Clearance + Cone/Slab + Frame Height).

I would suggest a different structure that has a smaller frame.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 10 of 11
n2itive

Anytime I've had this problem it was because of the pipe size and/or invert in relation to the structure (or possible any structure "rules"), not really the surface. As a check try entering a much higher rim elev than it's defaulting to. If it sticks then it has to do with the pipe/structure as mentioned. It's telling you the structure can not be made with that combination of rim, invert, and pipe size.

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 11 of 11
cloquet

That was the problem...

I just went into the Parts Builder and put a smaller size into the list for the Cone Height and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report