Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert block - nothing there

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
teresastewart3715
3462 Views, 9 Replies

Insert block - nothing there

Very basic problem: I insert a basic block and do not get any error messages but there is nothing there.  Not a problem with the block, it doesn't work for any block.  I go to try to insert another block and the block I just tried to insert is listed in the list of previously inserted blocks.  I can insert blocks when I'm in another dwg, so the problem is with this one dwg.  I searched the forums and tried everything that was suggested for other people.  Thawed/turned on all layers, regen, recover, recoverall, audit, purge, design manager.  Cannot even use pasteclip to copy objects from one layout to another.  I have my annotation visibility turned on and the block doesn't have annotative objects anyway.  Only ray of  hope: I could finally insert blocks when I selected Explode on the insert menu.  But I'm not always going to want them exploded so I was hoping for advice.  Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: teresastewart3715

Sounds like you're using a layout. Are you sure the layer(s) are not Viewport Frozen? Global thaw/on won't affect the layer if it's frozen in the current viewport.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
teresastewart3715
in reply to: tcorey

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.  All of the layers are thawed in the layout tab and in the viewport.

Message 4 of 10
tcorey

Are these blocks internal to the drawing or coming from the outside. Can you post the problem drawing and a representative block that doesn't work?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 10

When you insert a block, does the command line say *Invalid
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 6 of 10

Are the blocks annotative? Possibly not showing in the drawing because of scale? Just spitballing here.
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 7 of 10

Drawing is too big to attach, I'll try to reduce it an attach later.

Block is not annotative, nor does it say "Invalid"

Ironically, I can insert it exploded, but some blocks I wouldn't want exploded, such as a title block with editable attributes.

Message 8 of 10
tcorey

The first thing I would do if I did have your drawing would be to open one of the blocks in the block editor to see what layer the sub-objects are on. Then I would head to my layer dialog and see if that layer or the layer the block is on are set to No Plot and to my Page Setup Manager to see if I have Display Plot Styles checked.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 10

FIsrt thing I do is go to model space and zoom extents.  It usually shows up 3000 miles from no where.

Message 10 of 10

This appears to fix the problem.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hot...

It involves saving a couple of files to your product intallation folder which allows you to purge some additional things you couldn't before.

It made my files 50%-75% smaller and allowed me to insert blocks freely and use the copyclip command again.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS OPERATION TO BOTH YOUR DRAWING AND ANY OTHER DRAWINGS THAT IT XREFS.

Then save the drawing, then try to insert your blocks.

If you aren't sure if you're using 32 or 64-bit, click Start, type "system" into the search bar (don't hit enter), select System Information, System Summary tab.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report