Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Structure in Pipe Network

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
clemay
2068 Views, 7 Replies

Insert Structure in Pipe Network

I am working on an existing Pipe Network.  I have a location where I have already placed a pipe and filled in the correct parameters for this pipe.  But I realize now that there is a concrete headwall near the end of the pipe.  So I was trying to insert the structure at the midpoint of a line I have created for OSNAP reasons so it would create the structure at the specified location.  The problem is when I move the structure to create at this location, the "Break Pipe Marker" goes away and only shows when I am at a different location along the pipe.  So I wanted to see if there was a command or feature to use to tell the software I want to place this structure at a specified location along this one section of pipe. 

I wanted to see what my options were.  I know I can grab one end of the pipe and move it to the location and then add the structure and pipe from there.  But I did this insertion under different circumstances and it broke the pipe into 2 sections while still keeping the same and adding a (1) after it, which is pretty helpful when reading printouts and showing that this is actually one pipe instead of 2 pipes.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: clemay

insert random then snap to your location. Or make alignment from network and use the transparent commands to station
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
clemay
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I was not fully sure how you meant RANDOM insert.  But I did try the station offset from the alignment and while it placed the structure at the desired location, it did not break the pipe.  So I am unsure of this structure having some type of interference issue or the headwall blocking the pipe?  Or does it know that the pipe goes directly through the structure?  I heard from another user that you have to have 2 segments of pipe whenever you place a structure along the pipe?  Is that correct?  So confused now.......

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 4 of 8
clemay

I got it. I placed my structure at the midpoint of the pipe.

Then I selected the structure and chose the station offset command as recommended and when I entered the correct offset numbers it moved the structure to the correct location.  Although I have 2 segments of pipe, the names are the same with one of them having a (1) at the suffix.  Thanks for the tip and I will use the transparent commands more often to place pipes and structures along my alignment. 

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 5 of 8
clemay

I am still interested in what the "insert random then snap to your location" means exactly. I though maybe after I invoked the structures only with my structure, I would right click and choose "random" and it would let me pick a point along the pipe. but that was not what you were trying to inform me of. So just wanted to learn that part. Thanks!
C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Inerting a structure anywhere along a pipe (randomly) when you see a gliph will yield two new segments of pipe. So "randomly" insert the structure anywhere along the pipe them move with the transparent commands

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 8
clemay

got it. that's what I did. I placed it at the midpoint of the pipe since it recognized the pipe and was able to break it at that point. Then I moved it via the transparent commands. Worked Perfectly. Thank you 'SO much....lol
C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

I know sometimes its hard to see the trees through the forest 🙂 HTH
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report