AutoCAD Civil 3D General

jam_ii
Message 1 of 8 (377 Views)
Accepted Solution

Insert Point at Insertion Point of Block

377 Views, 7 Replies
11-08-2012 07:19 AM

Sorry if this has been answered before...

Does anyone know how I can quickly add points at the insertion point of a block?  I have over 1400 and would like to find the quickest way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 2 of 8 (374 Views)

Re: Insert Point at Insertion Point of Block

11-08-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: jam_ii

What kind of blocks are they? What do they consist of? Does any entity in the block mark the insertion point? Are they 2D or 3D.

I know. Many questions, no answers. But the answers mean the difference between - That's easy and that's not so easy.

Allen

jam_ii
Message 3 of 8 (371 Views)

11-08-2012 07:33 AM in reply to: jam_ii

It is a made up block that basically consists of a circle with a crosshair.  The survey points that were originally given to me were with offsets so I placed blocks where they should be relative to the point given (not all were with the same relativity).  When I'm done I have to then turn back over an ASCII file with the actual points of each of the blocks.  I may have done it a slow way.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 4 of 8 (366 Views)

11-08-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: jam_ii

You could try the data extraction wizard.

Another option would be to edit the block so that it includes an AutoCAD point at the insertion point. You could then WBlock the redefined block to another file, explode them and use Home > Create Ground Data > Points > Convert AutoCAD Points. (_AeccCreatePtConvertAdeskPts ).

Allen

jam_ii
Message 5 of 8 (363 Views)

11-08-2012 07:47 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks.  I did a test run the other day of putting a point inside the block.  When I expoded the block I had to keep on clicking accept on the next point number.  I didn't want to do that 1400 times if I could find a better way.  Earlier today I tried the dataextraction but it gave me a lot more information than what I needed and it was a lot to have to weed out in the spreadsheet.  I will look more into the options of dataextraction in order to get only the info I need.

Thanks for your help!!

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 6 of 8 (359 Views)

11-08-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: jam_ii

jam_ii wrote:

When I expoded the block I had to keep on clicking accept on the next point number.  I didn't want to do that 1400 times if I could find a better way. 

You need to to modify your Point Identity settings. Set 'Use Sequential Numbering" to True, "Point Offset" to 1 and put the number you want to start from in "Next Point Number".

Cap.PNG

I just tried it and it worked fine.

Allen

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 7 of 8 (356 Views)

11-08-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I would use Allen's suggestion of the data extraction wizard. This will produce a text file of xyz locations. You would then take the file and use it to create points at the block insertion locations.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

jam_ii
Message 8 of 8 (355 Views)

11-08-2012 08:09 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks!  I've also found with the dataextraction that I can only select the x,y of the block.  I created the ascii file and then reinserting the points to double check and everything went fine.

Thank you very much for your help!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs