Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly displaying full path of drawing

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Grimes_MG
977 Views, 19 Replies

Incorrectly displaying full path of drawing

Has anyone noticed that in Civil 3D 2012, if you enable the option of "Display full path in title" under the Options -->  Open and Save --> File Open area, the active drawing name and path displayed in the Tittlebar is not correct?

I've noticed this when the drawing window is maximized, didn't check when restored.

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
JessieQuilatan
in reply to: Grimes_MG

Yes. This bug exists in the 2011 version as well. It can become dangerous if you think you really are in the drawing shown in the path at the top of the screen.

Michael Merlino
Civil Engineering Technician / "CAD Manager"
SAN JOSE, CA, USA
Message 3 of 20
neilyj666

Good to see the same bugs still in 2012

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 20
SethHall

Hello all-

I am trying to reproduce this issue, however every machine I have tested seems to work as expected. Does anybody have any additional details, specific steps, etc. that may be helpful in reproducing this behaviour?

I very much appreciate any information!!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 20
neilyj666
in reply to: SethHall

I don't have the full path but this problem regularly occurs when several drawings are open - and it is very annoying

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
SethHall
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for the reply. How are you switching drawings? Prospector, minimize, Quick View, ALT+TAB? I have tested all methods and the title path updates as expected. Anything you can think of that may be different on your machine would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 7 of 20
JessieQuilatan

It happens sometimes when I use the CTRL+TAB keys to cycle through multiple drawings. (I am using Windows Vista, Civil3D 2012). Unfortunately, I cannot recreate this issue on demand.

Michael Merlino
Civil Engineering Technician / "CAD Manager"
SAN JOSE, CA, USA
Message 8 of 20
neilyj666
in reply to: JessieQuilatan

I use CTRL+TAB as well and confirm that it doesn't appear to be reproducible on demand and also that it doesn't always happen

EESignature

Message 9 of 20
NathanBee
in reply to: neilyj666

I've seen this as well (in 2011).

I either use Alt + Tab or Alt --> W --> 1/2/3 to flick between drawings.

Message 10 of 20
rkmcswain

I have to chime in and say that I don't recall noticing this problem, but I'll start paying closer attention.

I use the drawing tabs ARX (from caelink.com) to switch drawings about 98% of the time.

C3D 2011, Update 3

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 20
Grimes_MG
in reply to: rkmcswain

Try this to recreate:

1) Have a minimum of two drawings open in the same AutoCAD C3D 2012 session;

2) Go to "View" tab, select "Tile Vertically" or "Title Horizontally". You should now be able to see multiple windows, each displaying a different file;

3) Double-click inside one of the drawing windows. Note the drawing's file name and/or the full file path in the program's menu bar, not the window's menu bar (See previous post about displaying the full path in the program's menu bar);

4) Double-click inside one of the other drawing windows. Note the drawing's file name and/or the full file path in the program's menu. You can also ALT+TAB and it will do the same thing.

Is it accurate or does it display the previous file name still?

Mine is almost never accurate.

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Message 12 of 20
Jeff_M

I tested this with 5 drawings open & tiled. Switching from drawing to drawing, either by clicking or CTRL-TAB'ing changed the Application title bar appropriately each time. 

I've personally never seen this problem...not saying it doesn't happen for others, just I've been fortunate enough to avoid it.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 20
Civil3DReminders

I usually notice it after Civil 3D has become unresponsive or busy with something and I try to switch drawings using Ctrl+Tab. My guess is AutoCAD errors out over the code that changes the name and never goes back to check if it's correct later on.

Message 14 of 20
ksorsby
in reply to: Civil3DReminders

Yep, does it here too. Thought it was just me. I can't reproduce it reliably either, it just happens maybe once or twice a day and a quit/restart seems to solve it.

On a related note, I currently have 2 drawings open and when I hover over the task bar at the bottom, I get 2 drawing thumbnails but when I Alt-Tab, I have 3 - the same drawing appears twice but with a different thumbnail. This ALWAYS happens. Occasionally the task bar shows 2 thumbnails for each drawing too.

Not a biggie for me, just throwing it out there!

Kevin

Message 15 of 20
SethHall
in reply to: ksorsby

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to work on reproducing this given the information you all have provided. It is very much appreciated!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 16 of 20
doben
in reply to: rkmcswain

I've been having this problem too. (I previously posted it) I use Alt+Tab; it doesn't happen always, but most of the time and when it does it is persistent. Doing a save or quick save will temporaraly show the correct path. I thought it might be network related so tried it on my local drive and it happened there too. 

Message 17 of 20
ArchD
in reply to: doben

Happens to me, and I use the Window drop down menu to swap drawings. Not sure exactly why it happens, or when.

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 18 of 20
mooreb

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this issue?

Thanks...

Message 19 of 20
ksorsby
in reply to: mooreb

Unlikely - but there might be some new whizzbang features in the next release though. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 20
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mooreb

I don't know if 2013 addressed it but 2012 didn't.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report