Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Error of Closure of Parcels

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
AllenJessup
840 Views, 5 Replies

Improve Error of Closure of Parcels

Is there a way to improve the error of closure of a Parcel. I have one Parcel that has an EOC of 0.0161'. That's a little higher than I like to see. I understand that some of this has to do with the precision of the analysis. But with bearings to the second and distances to the hundredth, I'd like to think we could do better than that.

I suppose that if I changed the POB the closure might improve. But I want the POB to be the closest corner to an existing monument.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
stacy.dunn
in reply to: AllenJessup

How large is your parcel?  The error could be a foot and still be within an acceptable precision if your parcel is large enough.

Stacy Dunn
Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup
in reply to: stacy.dunn

That's true. Here is the closure report:

Perimeter: 1228.61'     Area: 21017.74 Sq. Ft. Error Closure:           0.0161     Course: S47° 58' 56"E Error North:         -0.01080     East: 0.01199

Precision  1: 76310.56       

The precision isn't that bad. But I usually like to see a closure less than the precision of the courses. I'm not going to obsess over this. But for a proposed parcel I just think it could be better. The closing course isn't within 20° of any bearing or I might try to adjust that leg.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
stacy.dunn

It looks like you are dealing with a parcel that has alot of rounding in the annotated calls.  Depending on the number of calls you could see a larger error on a similar sized parcel. 

The only thing you can do to reduce the error is to increase the precision of the courses that are used for the calculation.  This would defeate the purpose of doing a closure report to begin with.

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 6
AllenJessup
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Yes. It has 12 courses. I'll accept the closure because I agree that increasing the precision wouldn't be appropriate.

Thanks for your help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
freesej2

I realize this post is now over 7 years old, but if anyone is looking for an easy way to determine the precision in a parcel lot, i have attached an excel file that will do all of the calculating for you! There is no set precision that is acceptable for all parcels and closed traverses, this must be determined based off of your personal knowledge and level of acceptance. Just know if the precision is approximately 0.01 or less it is error caused by rounding in the actual bearings (they do not extend past whole seconds).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report