Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing multiple Building Sites into the same Civil 3D file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
616 Views, 6 Replies

Importing multiple Building Sites into the same Civil 3D file

I am working on a project where I need to bring in multiple building site files from Revit as .adsk files to one Civil 3D model. The first building always imports just fine.  For any building after the first, I get the following message:

"The selected file contains a definition of a building site that is already in use."

"What would you like to do?"

"Update the definition of the existing building site (cancel the import and use the selected file to update the definition of the existing building site.)" - THIS OPTION REPLACES THE FIRST BUILDING WITH THE NEW BUILDING I HAVE SELECTED

"Browse to another file (display the file browse dialog to select a different file.)" - THIS DOES NOT HELP, AS NO OTHER FILES IMPORT, EITHER

My team and I have tried every we can think of including the following (see attached):

• Renaming the files
  • Moving the files to different folders
  • Importing each building site into a new file and copy and pasting into the model (this works until someone tries to import a building site, which will inevitably happen and ruin this work around)
  • Double-checking all related settings.

We are worried that this is a bug.  All suggestions welcome.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

What if you were to link the multiple building sites into one .rvt project before exporting the building site?

I haven't tested this, but it's worth a try.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, Tim. I think that will be good as a sort of "last resort" for us. It works well as a one-time process, but one of our issues is that we are working with a project that will be evolving greatly and frequently over the next several months and would like to have the most efficient workflow possible. For us that means having building sites that are easily updatable and easy to move around as individual objects.

If we can't get the individual building imports to work, .rvt projects will have to suffice!

Thanks!
Message 4 of 7
gratny1

Can I ask if you ever resolved this issue?  We are having a similar issue.  I have three separate buildings on a phased site, but I would like to show all three of them for the final rendering.  Can you point me in the right direction?  We have tried having all three buildings in one revit site file and we have not been able to overcome this issue.  We have also tried changing the project name but it has something to do with the definition of the site.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
MarySeufert
in reply to: gratny1

I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a shot. If you have the full building design suite, use the IFC out process in Revit. Import into AutoCAD Architecture, then xref the ACA dwg into Civil 3D. I've used the IFC process between Revit and ACA with success in the past.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 7
gratny1
in reply to: MarySeufert

My work around was to create three separate drawings and then xref those into the main job.  Not elegant, but it worked.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
ericgeest

I am working with C3D 2016 and i have to import several revit model. Is the problem solved or is there another way to import?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report