Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Shapefiles and Editing Features C3D 2014 (Need Help)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
clemay
3092 Views, 12 Replies

Importing Shapefiles and Editing Features C3D 2014 (Need Help)

I am currently working on a new project in Civil 3D 2014.  I have been working with AutoCAD for years now, but I am new to C3D.  I have imported a couple shapefiles into my drawing and I have also Queried the insert via "Locate On Map" so I don't have the entire parish data inserted.  They are parcels and the other is a project location.  What I am having trouble understanding is that I keep seeing Check in Features or Check Out Features.  So I am not sure if I delete parcels or data within the features, is it completely gone?  Or am I checking it out.

I also would like to know how to possibly change the features to edit in the familiar AutoCAD commands.  Not sure how to change the styles for part or some of the features with possibly using them down the line.

I have attached a couple pics to this message so you can see the actual files I inserted and see a screenshot of my drawing/map and the Data Dialog box along with it.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
clemay
in reply to: clemay

Another thing I do not understand is when I look at the "Data Connect" box, I see my 2 shapefiles in the list, but I do not see them checked anymore in the other window where all of the files are shown.  Very confusing. I attached a pic of what I am trying to explain as well.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 3 of 13
jporter

There are a couple of ways to connect to and utilize shape files. I typically import my shape files into a separate drawing and query in the data that I need. I have a video that explains this: http://enceptia.com/dirt/?p=1448

Hope this helps,

Jason
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 4 of 13
clemay
in reply to: jporter

Just started watching your video and before I finish watching the rest of it and get completely devoted to learning this process, I just wanted to thank you for helping me with the right tools.  Just in the first 5 minutes I realized that I was already developing bad habbits and they are now being corrected. Thanks again and I hope to learn as much as I can from your videos.  This world needs more people like you and others that really put some effort in giving back and teaching others to learn that want to learn.  So thank you!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 5 of 13
clemay

I am going through your video with my data step for step and I noticed that my coordinates do not go to 0,0 when I pan over the GEO Marker.  Its actually pretty far off.  I noticed your Annotative scale is 1" = 60' as to where mine is 1" = 40'.  I don't know if that plays a factor, but I am not sure.  I have a couple clip showing my GEOMarker Location.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 6 of 13
jporter

Sorry for the late response. I'm driving around today. I'm glad to help.

What coordinate system was you shape file collected in? The annotative scale has nothing to do with your issues. You need to know the coordinate system the shape file was collected in. The GEOMARKER will not always be at 0,0,0 either. Remember, the GEOMARKER is only a reference to point which the coordinate system is measured from. It 's the centroid.
Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 7 of 13
clemay

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 8 of 13
clemay

It was created in the same one.  I actually have imported 2 shapefiles already and have deleted the data I don't need and created a couple dwg files to use for my particular project.  I am half way through your awesome video.  I hope you have more.  This just happens to be exactly what I needed to learn and develop a good standard habit for. I am hoping that the end result will be just what I am looking to do and learn. 

What I am trying to accomplish for now and hopefully have ready for Monday is to have the drain survey that was given to us, and to insert the parcels and insert the project location and possibly print and/or save a drawing so my engineer can look at the survey data (elevations and such) and see what parcels they fall in and how it relates to the project location. 

Then I will be creating a pipe network for the stormwater from an existing survey drawing.  I assume I can choose create network from layout and set all the rules to none and just use the invert data.  but that's another close goal around the turn.

Anyway, i am gonna get back to inserting an image in my drawing and I am sure I will edit and save that.lol

I can see where this is going and it is definitely worth the time for the end result.  I just keep hoping I can possible label some parcel data that I insert in my main drawing.

Stay safe on that Texas road, and I'll be working hard down her in New Orleans.

CAD On!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 9 of 13
jporter

Even though they're in the same coordinate zone you'll have to create the two drawings if (and only if) you want to query the data.

Once your parcels are imported you can then create parcels from the objects. One they're parcels you can control/edit their label style to express what you need. You can do the same for your pipe network.

I'm no where near my computer right now but we can talk on Monday if you still have questions.
Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 10 of 13
clemay

How's it going.  I hope you had a great weekend.  Your video was very informative and more new users should watch the video and its entirety to really understand the benefits and good habit forming standards. 

I am working on my same drawing and I have created a dwg file for my parcels and I have brought the data in via you method from the video.  I have also brought in some imagery (.sid) as well.  Due to the size of the drawing and how we received the survey drawing and all of its text and lines that were created in it, I am having a little bit of trouble finding the correct and fastest way to convert the text to Annotative so I can print sections out at a couple different scales .  The text for the most part has all been set with the actual style and the height set from the Text Style Dialog box. 

I have clicked on certain text and noticed that it comes up as "Alignment Station Label Group".  So I assume I would have to go in there and edit the scale and set it to Annotive if I wanted to change the scale factor.  All of the layouts are set to 1" = 20' and the text size has been applied to the style assuming it will always be printed out under that scale.  So when I try to print at a different scale , like 1" = 200' so my engineer can look at it and mark it up, the text is overlapping and becomes unreadable.

Can you guide me in the right direction to where I canprint the drawing out and have control over the text size with possible converting it to Annotative so I can control how it looks.

I am also in the process of installing DWG True View on her machine so she can open a drwing i create for her to use and analyze.

I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 11 of 13
jporter

In model space you'll constantly be changing the annotative scales based on your zooming.  The annotative scale for labels is understood best when you create a viewport with the desired scale. 

1. In your layout tab create a viewport

2. Set your desirired scale within the viewport

3. REGEN within the viewport may be needed

Create another viewport at another scale and you'll see that the labels automatically resize based on the viewport scale. 

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 12 of 13
Murph_Map

Nice video Jason, and this is from a GIS user. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 13 of 13
jporter
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks, Murph. 

It's not pretty, but gets the point accross.  And I can't possibly cover every possible scenerio in the video, just the most common.  With you being a GIS guy it makes me happy that you approve.

Jason Porter
www.asti.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report