Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Points

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pmwolfe
369 Views, 5 Replies

Importing Points

Hello,

I'm having problems importing points into Civil 3D 2012.

I'm trying to import an ASCII file into the drawing.

Files formats are P,N,E,Z,D in ASCII file and the same format is selected when I try importing.

The ASCII file has well over a 1000 points but when I import the points only the first twenty or so points import to the drawing.

This seems not to be limited to this drawing.

I tried to import points to a different drawing and the same thing happened.

Up to this point I have not had trouble importing points into other various drawings.

Is there a button or setting that may have changed that is preventing full importation of the points?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: pmwolfe

It might be worth taking a couple minutes and opening the ascii file with notepad to inspect it. See what is happening down around line 20.

Optionally, in the Point File Format editor, you can load and parse the file to see how Civil 3D is handling it. Load shows the file in its raw text format. When you hit parse, Civil 3D fills the columns you have defined in the point file format.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup

Also. If you wouldn't mind posting the first 25 or 30 lines of (or the whole) ASCII file. That might tell us something.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I have had issues in the past when using coordinates without elevation and the elevation then provided is a larger negative value (-9999999999).  AutoCAD doesn't seem to like this.  If you have elevations such as this I suggest a find and replace with 0 (as long as your true elevations aren't near 0) using notepad.

EDIT -

Actually this may have been a data collector upload issue as opposed to an autocad issue.

Message 5 of 6
pmwolfe

I've found the source of my error. It was me not seeing the whole picture. I didn't realize when you select the ASCII file that it shows a PREVIEW of the points being imported. Duh.

Forgive me I've only been using C3D for about a week now...

Message 6 of 6
AllenJessup

pmwolfe wrote:

Forgive me I've only been using C3D for about a week now...

NO Problem! We all had to learn at one point or another. Thank you for posting the answer. You can accept your post as the answer to help others looking for a similar solution in the future. 

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report