Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Points

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
743 Views, 10 Replies

Importing Points

I can successfully import points into LandDesk 2005 using a txt file, space delimited. But when I try to import that same file into Civil 3D 2005, it gives error saying "error parsing value in line 1, Value POINT, Invalid characters found in input string 'POINT'" and so on for the following fields. Can Civil 3D import text files as points? If so, please give instructions. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I've seen, they both work the same. Bill "Ernie" wrote in message news:23479640.1111922214452.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I can successfully import points into LandDesk 2005 using a txt file, space delimited. But when I try to import that same file into Civil 3D 2005, it gives error saying "error parsing value in line 1, Value POINT, Invalid characters found in input string 'POINT'" and so on for the following fields. Can Civil 3D import text files as points? If so, please give instructions. Thanks.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for replying. I see that the process is the same for both programs, however Civil 3D is giving me errors, whereas LandDesk gives no errors. Is this a flaw in Civil 3D and do you think it is fixed in a patch?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Ernie wrote: > I can successfully import points into LandDesk 2005 using a txt file, > space delimited. But when I try to import that same file into Civil > 3D 2005, it gives error saying "error parsing value in line 1, Value > POINT, Invalid characters found in input string 'POINT'" and so on > for the following fields. Can Civil 3D import text files as points? > If so, please give instructions. Thanks. It sounds like you might be able to use a text editor like NotePad to delete the first line if its a header. Terry
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Ernie: With all the problems that I have encountered, the only thing that I can recommend is that you lay Civil 3D aside and use LDD. I have encountered problems with parcels, corridors, yardage calculations and most all labeling. Don't look for a patch. I will guess they have only been working on adding new features like pipes. I can't imagine what a mess pipes with bring. It appears that it will take a mainframe to run it. The current version should be code named "Edsel 2005". I have spent the last 3 weeks working on three projects in Civil 3D. I am starting them nearly from scratch in LDD. I am not a happy camper if you can't tell. Bill "Ernie" wrote in message news:8631018.1111931262411.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks for replying. I see that the process is the same for both programs, however Civil 3D is giving me errors, whereas LandDesk gives no errors. Is this a flaw in Civil 3D and do you think it is fixed in a patch?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

"Ernie" wrote in message news:23479640.1111922214452.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I can successfully import points into LandDesk 2005 using a txt file, space >delimited. But when I try to import that same file into Civil 3D 2005, it >gives error saying "error parsing value in line 1, Value POINT, Invalid >characters found in input string 'POINT'" and so on for the following >fields. Can Civil 3D import text files as points? If so, please give >instructions. Thanks. Yes, C3D can import points from text files. Could you post your text file (and file format information) here so we can test it out please? Please also state if you have Service Pack 1 for C3D 2005 installed. If you need more information on point file formats you can go to Help > Autodesk Civil 3D Help and then go down to Points > Importing and Exporting Points. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for replying, Civil 3D team. To answer your question, I am using in the File Format: User Point File, Delimited by space, Comment Tag !, and the columns of Name, Northing, Easting, Point Elevation, and Raw Description. I do not have the Service pack 1 for my Civil 3D 2005 program, however my Communication Center says I'm "up to date", so how am I to get the service pack? Please let me know that answer. I have attached my point text file, per your request. I look forward to reading your reply.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

It appears to me you have too much space in your "delimiters". You also need to change you first column to numbers, only I think. Incorporate your first column with the last column(descriptions). Bill "Ernie" wrote in message news:9641996.1112031949474.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for replying, Civil 3D team. To answer your question, I am using in the File Format: User Point File, Delimited by space, Comment Tag !, and the columns of Name, Northing, Easting, Point Elevation, and Raw Description. I do not have the Service pack 1 for my Civil 3D 2005 program, however my Communication Center says I'm "up to date", so how am I to get the service pack? Please let me know that answer. I have attached my point text file, per your request. I look forward to reading your reply.
Message 9 of 11
miked

Have had the same problem. I import the points into excel delete the header rows including Pont x y z etc
No text in the point number.
Save as a space delimited text file
Works for me
Civil 3D no service packs loaded
XP pro
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

"Ernie" wrote in message news:9641996.1112031949474.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for replying, Civil 3D team. > I do not have the Service pack 1 for my Civil 3D 2005 program, however my > Communication Center says I'm "up to date", so how am I to get the service > pack? Please let me know that answer. Ernie, I will look into the points file - there are other replies and that may have already answered your question. For now...about the service pack - http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d On the left had side, click on Data & Downloads Click on Updates & Service Packs Click on Autodesk® Civil 3DT 2005 Service Pack 1 Download the appropriate service pack for your country/language version Please be sure to read the README file on the same web page. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Ernie, You need to strip out the first row of data (or place a # at the start of the row) from your input file. Your input format, Name, Northing, Easting, Elevation and Raw Description will take care of the point names in the first column without a problem. Once the points are imported into Civil 3D, you'll want to make a new point label style that uses "Name" instead of "Point Number". Cheers, Peter Funk Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report