Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing ASCII file error, rounds elevation to nearest foot

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
silvernich
591 Views, 4 Replies

Importing ASCII file error, rounds elevation to nearest foot

Thank you ahead of time for any comments.

So the issue I am battling is bringing in LiDAR files from ArcGIS. I have tried TXT and ASC, and they both seem to only maintain the elevation to the nearest foot, as you can see in the attached image.

What is strange, is that when the file is brought back into GIS, this issue is a problem. Is there a setting for reducing the amount of units when importing data? The text file as I shared has data to the thousandth.

Thank you for the thoughts.

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dasindog
in reply to: silvernich

Can you share the TXT or ASC file? I'd love to look at this issue closer.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 5
IanMcClain

There are a number of settings it could be. I would start with the point file format. Look at the definition of your import format and see what the precisions are set to for your elevation field. Are you using a custom format?

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 5
silvernich
in reply to: IanMcClain

Ian,

I am unclear how I would "Look at the definition of your import format and see what the precisions are set to for your elevation field. " Would you please explain this a bit further and where I would adjust it?

Excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to bring a large LiDAR scan (1/3 GB) in to make a surface. My thought was to bring the points in as a point cloud. The only real settings appear to be the coordinate system. I am bringing in the file as an ESRI ASC file. When I try to bring in the txt file instead, Civil 3D states "An error occurred in data processing."

Perhaps I should try a GeoTIFF?

I initially created a surface and added the txt file as a dem, but the surface was strange once again only with 1ft intervals. 

Thank again,

Nich

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
Message 5 of 5
IanMcClain

Toolspace>Settings tab>Point>Point File Formats.

-or-

Click on the manage formats button (cogo point & pencil icon) from the import points window.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report