Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported a .csv files but the evelation didn't come in correctly

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
MatTheDrafter
8596 Views, 16 Replies

Imported a .csv files but the evelation didn't come in correctly

I just imported a .csv file in Civil 3D 2014.  I did so by going to the insert tab and going points from a file.  I selected my file and choose the PNEZD (comma delimited ) and the point showed up.  The only issue there is the point number is showing below the elevations but I am assuming that has something to do with the style settings.   My real issue is when I created a 3D polyline and went to the nod I wanted to create a line from the Z coordinate was 0.  Did I import the .csv file incorrectly? 

When I go to the point group in prospector the point elevation is shown but when I put my curser over a point the northing and easting are correct but there is still no Z point.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Please paste here a couple of those PNEZD rows, thx.

Message 3 of 17

I attached a section of the file I am using to the post.  Again I am trying to draw a 3D polyline form these points and when I go to the polyline vertex point the Z point reads 0.  Now I am wondering if its the template they are using here.

Message 4 of 17

If you create a surface based on those imported points, how does it appear in ISO view, flat or three-dimensional?

Message 5 of 17

They don't appear flat in object viewer when I create a surface though it is slightly hard to tell since there is not a major difference in elevations between the points. But when creating 3d Polyline shouldn't the z coordinate be the elevation of node your snapping to?
Message 6 of 17
troma
in reply to: MatTheDrafter

Cogo point styles can be set to display at the elevation of the point or at a 'flat' elevation, typically 0. Sounds like this is the setting you're looking for.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 17
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: troma

So the cargo points can be set at the elevation as indicated in the point file or at elevation "0". Thanks troma I didn't know that before. Does anyone know where in the setting I can change so the cargo points come in at the elevation of the point file?
Message 8 of 17

Well, the "cargo" points are automatically placed at the correct elevation, according to the Z value of PNEZD string.

Start over with an empty drawing, and run the _IMPORTPOINTS command.

Message 9 of 17
Jeff_M

The Style controls whether the point objects are at elevation or not. The points still have their elevations, so when creating a surface the true elevations are used, but they can be displayed at a flattened elevation. WHen flattened and you snap to the point node you will get the flattened elevation, not the point's actual elevation.

12-20-2013 1-01-46 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 17
troma

Shown here with 'Basic', but make sure to edit the point style that your points are using.

cogo point display at elevation.PNG

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 17
MatTheDrafter

Thanks for the answer. I will have to remember that for the next project.
Message 12 of 17
KirkNoonan

Also realize that if you snap to the point object using one of the transparent commands instead of the node OSNAP, it will take the elevation of the point no matter what elevation the marker is set at.

Message 13 of 17
Pointdump
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Kirk,

That is a subtle distinction that cannot be overemphasized.Smiley Wink

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 14 of 17
KirkNoonan
in reply to: Pointdump

Definitely a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. Many people quickly discover that they don't really want their points to be displayed at the true elevation
Message 15 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: KirkNoonan

In what instance would you not want the elevation displayed at the true elevation?

Bill

Message 16 of 17
KirkNoonan
in reply to: wfberry

The first instance to come to mind would be the point markers for property corners. When the node OSNAP is used to draw a property line between corners of varying elevation, it will generally yield a line that is not the correct length for use in a legal description or plat.
Message 17 of 17
MatTheDrafter

Thank you for the helpful information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report