AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
duewekeb
Message 1 of 5 (1,054 Views)

Import Surface into 3DSMax

1054 Views, 4 Replies
07-16-2012 02:20 PM

Does anyone have experience taking a TIN surface (mine is created from several corridors, feature lines, points) and importing it into 3DS Max?  I'm not a Max guy and am just trying to get advice on the C3D side of the workflow.  

We keep getting a proxy error in Max and I am wondering if there is some specific way I need to build / export my surface in C3D in order for it to work correctly.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 5 (1,051 Views)

Re: Import Surface into 3DSMax

07-16-2012 02:45 PM in reply to: duewekeb

You'd explode the surface twice, in order to get a bunch of 3Dfaces.

Active Contributor
JOVO85
Message 3 of 5 (1,047 Views)

07-16-2012 03:40 PM in reply to: duewekeb

If you plan on doing a lot of visualization stuff between both programs you might look into 3dsmax Design for your next upgrade. the 2012 version of both programs incorporate a feature called Civil View which basically marries the two products, where anything designed in Civil 3D can be directly exported 3ds Max Design, where you can apply materials and setup a scene around the work done in Civil 3d. It creates short work of the geometry creation as it goes in 3ds Max. One of the reasons the program was needed was to help max import Civil data considering we design in a world triangles and 3ds Max is built around 4 sided polygons. This always seemed to give max trouble for me. 

If you're not upgrading anytime soon you might look into a plugin called Dynamite VSP which was actually bought out by autodesk and eventually became Civil View. 

I know this is unreasonable as a short term solution to your issue but I figured it would be info worth noting considering what your trying to do.

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 4 of 5 (841 Views)

03-07-2013 04:54 AM in reply to: JOVO85

Hi Joseph

I have the subscription pack for 3dsmax design but cannot fine the civil view menu in 3dsmax. I found it in c3d and export the vps3d file. How doews it go into 3dsmax?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
theengineeringdesign
Message 5 of 5 (794 Views)

03-22-2013 07:36 AM in reply to: duewekeb

Using the export options of C3D export vsp3d files .Next Import the terrain in 3Ds max by using civil view > geometry import > vsp3d. This will bring the topography in 3ds max.

Sahaj

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs