Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Surface into 3DSMax

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
duewekeb
3310 Views, 4 Replies

Import Surface into 3DSMax

Does anyone have experience taking a TIN surface (mine is created from several corridors, feature lines, points) and importing it into 3DS Max?  I'm not a Max guy and am just trying to get advice on the C3D side of the workflow.  

We keep getting a proxy error in Max and I am wondering if there is some specific way I need to build / export my surface in C3D in order for it to work correctly.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: duewekeb

You'd explode the surface twice, in order to get a bunch of 3Dfaces.

Message 3 of 5
JOVO85
in reply to: duewekeb

If you plan on doing a lot of visualization stuff between both programs you might look into 3dsmax Design for your next upgrade. the 2012 version of both programs incorporate a feature called Civil View which basically marries the two products, where anything designed in Civil 3D can be directly exported 3ds Max Design, where you can apply materials and setup a scene around the work done in Civil 3d. It creates short work of the geometry creation as it goes in 3ds Max. One of the reasons the program was needed was to help max import Civil data considering we design in a world triangles and 3ds Max is built around 4 sided polygons. This always seemed to give max trouble for me. 

If you're not upgrading anytime soon you might look into a plugin called Dynamite VSP which was actually bought out by autodesk and eventually became Civil View. 

I know this is unreasonable as a short term solution to your issue but I figured it would be info worth noting considering what your trying to do.

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 4 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: JOVO85

Hi Joseph

I have the subscription pack for 3dsmax design but cannot fine the civil view menu in 3dsmax. I found it in c3d and export the vps3d file. How doews it go into 3dsmax?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 5

Using the export options of C3D export vsp3d files .Next Import the terrain in 3Ds max by using civil view > geometry import > vsp3d. This will bring the topography in 3ds max.

Sahaj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report