Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Point Cloud data from source (NASA?)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sbd123
614 Views, 6 Replies

Import Point Cloud data from source (NASA?)

It was in Feb - March 2012. I was then using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012. I had faced a problem of getting ground data for a large surface by using satellite imageries processed by some government wing of USA (NASA?), have lost track of it. Any body who can suggest a link so I can trace my way back there?

Thanks a lot.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sbd123
in reply to: sbd123

Was I using the Map 3D and Data Sources?

Message 3 of 7
sbd123

I think I am referring to FDO.

Message 4 of 7
sboon

Perhaps you were using SRTM data?  Try this link.

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
sbd123
in reply to: sboon

Thanks a lot. It was indeed SRTM.

I managed to extract data from " Global Data Explorer" Prima facie it seems ok. It is an ASTER Global GDEM ArcASCII file which gives elevation in a grid format. I may be able to convert this as a three column *.csv file and import to any CAD file. Is their a shorter route?

Message 6 of 7
sboon

Not that I'm aware of.  I've used this data also, but someone in our mapping department converted it for me to csv.  If you can find or build a conversion tool I would be interested in seeing it.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 7
sbd123

Thanks a lot. The data was an ASCII file arranged in rows and columns. I could convert this into an appropriate csv file and import it into Autocad. I need to verify its accuracy from the ground data I have and see how useful it can be. Thanks again for all the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report