Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import / Insert .sid files into Civil 3d 2011

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
MITCHELLCOOKAS220
24882 Views, 16 Replies

Import / Insert .sid files into Civil 3d 2011

Need some help with this.

Have downloaded the raster object viewer.  It seems all commands, typed or as menu tabs don't list .sid files as an option.

Ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Figured out!

Message 3 of 17

MAPIINSERT? It’s always polite to post the answer even when you’ve found it yourself. That way if someone else searches the group, looking for the same answer, they’ll find it in your post. Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
CWI-HDS
in reply to: MITCHELLCOOKAS220

Found this thread while trying to figure it out for 2014.  Found a solution and thought this might be a good place for it.

In 2014, change the Workspace from Civil 3D to Planning and Analysis.

Home Tab -> Data Panel -> Insert an Image button (middle button to the right of the Attach button)

It defaults to .psd files, so you have to change the file type to MrSID.

If it's something you do on a regular basis and you don't want to switch back and forth between workspaces, you can always go into the CUI on the Manage tab and add the Insert an Image button to whichever Panel suits you in the Civil 3D workspace.

Message 5 of 17

I know this post is very old, but I was able to insert a .sid file by using the XREF command then attach image, file type should be set to "all image files".

FYI - I was using C3D 2018 to perform this function. 

-cheers 

Message 6 of 17

Was it a georeferenced file? Did it come in at the right coordinates? For georeferenced files MAPIINSERT will work and has SID as a file option. If the coordinate system matches the one set in the drawing it will be positioned correctly.

sid.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17

Thanks Allen, this is helpful and I'll have to give it a try because it actually did not georeference or scale correctly. Luckily I was able to find and bring in a shapefile for the tile index from the state's GIS website, and I then used the tile area to position and scale the .sid file.

If your answer works for my situation, I'll accept as a solution.

Message 8 of 17

If you need to transform the coordinate system of the images use the IINSERT Command.

The method described by @CWI-HDS should be the ribbon equivalent of the MAPIINSERT Command

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 17

MAPIINSERT worked like charm. You sir, are a good man.

Extra tip for those out there, if you do not want the image frame to plot around an image set IMAGEFRAME to 0.

Cheers!

Message 10 of 17

Thank you. this worked

Message 11 of 17
Crass
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hello - I just found this post which I know is slightly old. I am trying to use MAPIINSERT to add a MrSid file in Civil 3D 2021. I keep receiving the message:

xxx.sid was not found or is not valid.

Anything I need to check? The native map projection is NAD83 / UTM zone 12N. I can open the file no problem in GeoViewer. If I export a portion of the sid file as Geotif I can bring it in no problem using MAPIINSERT but it seems like an unnecessary extra step and I lose some resolution as I only have the free version of that sw.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 12 of 17
Pointdump
in reply to: Crass

@Crass ,
"...export a portion of the sid file as Geotif..."
In GeoViewer make sure you save at the highest resolution. The default is just middling.
Have you tried using the IINSERT command in Raster Tools?
Can you post a link to your MrSID file? Or Zippola your image, and if it's less than 71MB you can post the image.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 17
Crass
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes, I have export in GeoViewer set to highest resolution. This workflow is not bad and it allows me to crop the data I bring into C3D so I'm fine sticking with this method. Was just curious why C3D was denying the sid file more than anything and if others like a different process.

This is the aerial image straight from the source: http://ftp.geoinfo.msl.mt.gov/Data/Spatial/MSDI/Imagery/2019_NAIP/UTM_County_Mosaics/Fergus.sid

It's big. 4.9 GB. Maybe that's the issue?

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 14 of 17
Pointdump

Downloading that bad boy right now. 4.7GB! In the meantime, in GeoViewer you can check to see what Generation that MrSID is. Read >>>Here<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 15 of 17
Pointdump

Looks like Civil 3D still doesn't support 4th generation MrSID images as of July 27, 2020. Read >>>Here<<<.

I'm at 4.5/4.7 GB download. Any minute now.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 16 of 17
Pointdump

Tried just now the Fergus.sid file. Getting same as you, so it looks like the GeoViewer route is your only option right now.

MrSID_1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 17
CWI-HDS
in reply to: Pointdump

If you get a converter to convert large format images to .ecw format, CAD will not reject it.  I use a program called FME Workbench for the conversion.  It's been a while, but I think I had to request a free license.  CAD doesn't seem to care how big the files are if they're ecw format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report