Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import DTM into Civil 3d

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
sharshbarger
38751 Views, 38 Replies

Import DTM into Civil 3d

I've been given 3 dtm surface files that I believe were created in Microstation.  I need to import them into Civil 3d to utilized the legecy surfaces.

I've seen several topics on this accross the net but no real answers.  Is there a way to convert these to a usable xml file format or import these dtm files into a surface or drawing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Civil 3d 2013

Steven

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
jmayo-EE
in reply to: sharshbarger

Can the data provider or a colleague convert them to xml in microstation for you?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 39
sharshbarger
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Unfortunatly no.  They were provided by the client and can't go back to the original consultant.

Message 4 of 39
neilyj666

can you post an example so someone can take a look?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 39
antoniovinci

If those files are .DGN, did you just try to load 'em thru the _MAPIMPORT command..?

Message 6 of 39
Neilw_05

I'm quite sure those DTM files are in a proprietary format. You will need to use InRoads to convert them into a useable format.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 39
sharshbarger
in reply to: neilyj666

There's nothing really to post.  They are "data.dtm" and I believe they came from Microstation.  I'll keep searching for a solution.

Thanks for the ideas.

Message 8 of 39
AllenJessup

There's a Creating a Surface From a TIN File in Civil 3D. I don't know if it will work on the file you have.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 39
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

That command is for LDD tin surfaces and will also require a pnt file for the surface points.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 39
antoniovinci

sharshbarger wrote:

There's nothing really to post

Well, if you wanna be helped, you'd better share that .DTM with us.
You are in the right place among the right people, so trust us, sir.

Message 11 of 39
tcorey

That might be a file created by TopoCAD:

http://adtollo.se/en/surveying-mapping/

Maybe you can contact them and ask how to convert the files to LandXML or SHP. The company, I think, is in Sweden.

If you mention your affinity for Marcus Hellner (gold medal in cross country in 2010) or Anja Paerson (six overall medals 2002 -- 2010, including gold in slalom 2006) maybe they'll be more willing to help you. Smiley Wink

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 12 of 39
corboto

I don't know of any way to use DTM files with Civil 3D.  I've looked and looked everywhere and tried everything I can think of.  I'll attach an example microstation DTM file just for those willing to try.  Without Microstation I think these files are unusable.  

Message 13 of 39
neilyj666
in reply to: corboto

Yes I think you are right - doesn't seem to be a simple ASCII file and without Microstation, no use

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 39
AllenJessup

From what I've been able to find out. If it's a "Microstation" DTM file. It was probably created in InRoads or Geopak. You can't import those to Civil 3D. The file format is still proprietary.

If you can't find anyone who has the program and will convert it to LandXML for you. Your best bet is to download an evaluation copy of the programs and try it your self.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 39
mike.barkasi
in reply to: tcorey

DTM is a InRoads Digital Terrain Model. InRoads is a Bentley System Product. Versions of InRoads up to Select Series 2 ran on top of AutoCad or C3D (2012 or 2013 )

Bentley has a product call PowerSurvey which contains a MicroStation based platfom and InRoads survey that would open this file.

Its interesting that bentleys latest Open Roads Technology will import legacy formats from InRoads, GEOPAK and MX while maintaining a live link to these, so if the DTM for instance would be modified it would update the Open Roads Terrain.

If I recall Autodesk left little to no functionality support between there newest technology (Civil 3D) and legacy tech (LDD).

note attached is an example...I did not know units so I would not trust it... but is an example of the conversion

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Message 16 of 39
AllenJessup
in reply to: mike.barkasi

mike.barkasi wrote: 

If I recall Autodesk left little to no functionality support between there newest technology (Civil 3D) and legacy tech (LDD).

No. You're mistaken on this. Civil 3D will import LDD data individually or as a project. DTM, alignments, point, etc. Points can also be converted in a drawing. So project can be migrated.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 39
sharshbarger
in reply to: AllenJessup

I appriciate all the ideas, but still don't see a solution.  I did included a link to the DTM file for review.  Hope that helps.

I don't know anyone with Microstation nor can I go back to the original consultants.  If I can't find a solution, I'm SOL on using the data.

Thanks

Steven

http://a360.co/10ngE01

Message 18 of 39
troma

@AllenJessup wrote:

From what I've been able to find out. If it's a "Microstation" DTM file. It was probably created in InRoads or Geopak. You can't import those to Civil 3D. The file format is still proprietary.

If you can't find anyone who has the program and will convert it to LandXML for you. Your best bet is to download an evaluation copy of the programs and try it your self.

Allen Jessup

Did you try that?  AutoDesk do free 30 day trials, I don't know if you can get the same of a Microstation product, but you may.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 19 of 39
sharshbarger
in reply to: troma

I'm going to try that.  I'll post results!

Message 20 of 39
corboto
in reply to: mike.barkasi

@mike.barkasi wrote:

note attached is an example...I did not know units so I would not trust it... but is an example of the conversion

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Mike:

Thanks so much for converting that DTM for me.  I have been trying to see what's in that for about 3 months.  As I can now look at it, I now have a question about it, and it may apply to all Inroads DTM's.  This converted file that you posted appears to only have point data contained in it.  Is this typical of a DTM?  I would have expected it to contain 3d faces and/or breaklines too.  I ask out of curiousity because the surface in the XML file obviously needs additional data to be more correct (i.e., breaklines).  I was given the DGN files for this project and with that data "rebuilt" the surface the best I could but always wanted to compare it to the DTM that was also given to me.  So basically I'm asking, do all Inroads DTM files only contain points or is that all that was in this file?  Thanks again.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report