Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying areas of widening

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
neilyj666
1440 Views, 40 Replies

Identifying areas of widening

I'm working on a windfarm access road (5m wide with widening at bends to 8m) and I need to identify the areas of widening.

I've got the centreline alignment and created the 2.5m offsets to each side. I have also created widenings on the insides of the bends using the widening tools and used a linear taper at entry and exit. I now need to hatch up the portions where the road has been widened to demonstrate compliance with the specification and the only easy way I can see is to export to autocad and use the hatch tools (not tried to hatch between alignments).

Whilst this works it isn't dynamic so if the alignment is adjusted the widening alignments are also moved but the hatching remains.

is there an easier way to do this?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
neilyj666
in reply to: neilyj666

Stopped the Acad process and tried this again and the hatching seem to be following the alignments as expected

I'm going to try Joe's method in Post 20

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 41

If it was me, I'd use the corridor method as well.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Neil, note a cl profile is required to get the corridor started I used a dummy layout in this sample but you would be better off with a sample of a surface profile. I didn't have a surfa available at the time

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 24 of 41
neilyj666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe - Thanks for the drawing, the corridor method does seem to be the best method.

I'll have a play around with the drawing you provided and see if I can apply to my situation

EESignature

Message 25 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Good luck. let me know how it goes

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 26 of 41
neilyj666

just curious how you've set up your sub assembly; in my case I only really need a very simple trapezoidal section

EESignature

Message 27 of 41
Joe-Bouza

I added all the other subs to demonstrate the power. You can do it with a general link on the offset node.

I did it with an offset only because i recently discovered how easy it is. the offset assembly is more important if you have to honor baseline stations. A simplified way would be a regular assembly run along your widen alignment  and target an inside edge alignment, FL or pline or from the inside out either way works

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 28 of 41
fcernst

"..Stopped the Acad process and tried this again and the hatching seem to be following the alignments as expected..."

No, it's not stable Neil.

It will follow it around for a little while, but then it loses its Associative property after a few movements. Try grip-editing the Parent Alignment origin and pull it back a couple hundred feet, etc.,, etc.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 29 of 41
neilyj666
in reply to: fcernst

Just playing with the corridor method - more initial set up required but likely more stable...??

EESignature

Message 30 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Try not to be in too much of a hurry to do it quickly <G>

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 31 of 41
neilyj666

Had some success so far - a robust naming system for the alignments, standard offsets and widening offsets is a must...:)

EESignature

Message 32 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Ditto

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 33 of 41
neilyj666

Using my original "Export to AutoCAD" method I could easily use fields to label the widenings with areas, how can I label the widenings using the corridor method?

EESignature

Message 34 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Got me there. Although QTO could probably do it. This may not be the best but you can extract the FL and shrinkwrap.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 35 of 41
neilyj666

Both methods ("semi dynamic" hatching and corridors) have their advantages and disadvantages, so I expect I will use both methods depending on the situation, complexity and likelihood of alignment changes...!!!!

EESignature

Message 36 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Understood. The nature of our work is constant change isn't it.

unfortunately, somethings the developers didn't include require more programing knowledge than the average user has to fit every situation. You should be able to extract areas from a corridor and native tools should be robust enough to read the objects. Seems straight forward to me -perhaps someday?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 37 of 41
Joe-Bouza

Neil

I got to thinking about the area query and realized that Parcels may be an option. All you need to do is put the alignments in a site and you get a robust hatch and area for the widen areas

change the ext to dwg

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 38 of 41
neilyj666

I've tended to stay away from parcels after getting a seriously corrupted drawing and losing a day's work when using 2011.

That said though, I think this parcel method looks like a winner; dynamic and no corridors to build and maintain...:)

Have a Kudo...

EESignature

Message 39 of 41
Joe-Bouza

I know what you mean, but I think most of the problems come by way of poorly drawn parcels and two alignments should fair ok IMHO

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 40 of 41
neilyj666

I just tried the parcel method by moving my alignments to a site and the parcels were automatically created. .. 🙂

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report