Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I shouldn't have but I've got a Partbuilder problem......

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jmccabe001
314 Views, 3 Replies

I know I shouldn't have but I've got a Partbuilder problem......

So I've been venturing off and on into Partbuilder and playing around and have a pretty good grasp of the basics.....I'm building a custom concrete flared end section that matches the state detail and I have had great success modeling it in Partbuilder.....problem is that the model parameters I have added are not available when I add the part to the Parts List......that is after I add the part family when I go to add a particular size the model parameters I need to choose (they are lists) do not show up......

Now I have done a ton of research on line about this issue and was able to find the solution where - after the model is working - you validate it and then go manually modify the PartParamCfg.xml and the Part xml file to get these model parameters to show up but it still is not working.....I've tried everything....

I've posted the two xml files...........

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmccabe001

I have many custom parts and I have never had to modify the xml files manually. I typically validate and save the part and the sizes are available.

If I have an issue I will see if PARTCATALOGREGEN will fix it.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
jmccabe001
in reply to: jmayo-EE

What I need is to push custom model parameters I created into the Add Part Size Dialog Box when you right click onto a family in the Parts List and click add size......there are a couple blog posts about this made by others where the only way to do this is to manually modify the xml files.....there are two that must be modified......sounds like you are just using the OOTB size parameters that come in after you pick the structure type and shape and hit validate.....

You have to admit that PartBuilder is tremendously unstable.....you can never predict what it is going to do.....

Message 4 of 4
Bill_Myron
in reply to: jmccabe001

You are correct. If you want to add custom properties to parts and have them available to you, you need to edit an XML File. 

AeccPartParamCfg.xml - This is the file you need to edit.

The first section is    -    <AeccDfSortGroup name="Part Properties" sortPriority="context">    -     Copy one of the lines that will suit your property. Paste it anywhere in that list.

This is one of mine.

<AeccDfParameter name="MPD" desc="Main Pipe Diameter" context="MainPipeDia" index="0" datatype="String" usage="String_General" managelist="False" unit="" visible="True" internal="True"/>

Copied from

<AeccDfParameter name="SF" desc="Frame" context="StructFrame" index="0" datatype="String" usage="String_General" managelist="True" unit="" visible="True" internal="True"/>

Now scroll down the XML to this section            

<AeccPartTypeCfg type="Struct_InletOutlet" desc="Inlet-Outlet Structure">

(Assuming you made an inlet-Outlet Structure. The other structures also have different sections)

Create a line that will show your Custom Property context

Mine -                <AeccOptParam context="MainPipeDia"/>

Original -            <AeccOptParam context="StructFrame"/>

Now you can go itno Part Builder and add the Custom Property you just created to the part. After you add it, change the property to a list and add everything into that list. When you add the part into your Parts list, you will have a drop down menu of that Property.

If you want to follow a good tutorial follow this. It actually makes a Inlet Outlet Structure.

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autocad-civil-3d/civil-3d-part-builder-intro/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report