Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydrology Routing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
128 Views, 3 Replies

Hydrology Routing

Hi. I am a new user in the hydrology routing program.
I am having problems loading the rainfall intensity file into the program. When I go to the rainfall frequency editor, it give me an error message saying that " unable to open
when I try to manual input the rainfall data, it will not save the county.rf or .idf file. I am not sure of the difference. Can anyone help?
Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Fritz:
You need to be in the Land Desktop NG. Civil 3D has no hydrology.

Bill

wrote in message news:4983446@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi. I am a new user in the hydrology routing program.
I am having problems loading the rainfall intensity file into the program.
When I go to the rainfall frequency editor, it give me an error message
saying that " unable to open
when I try to manual input the rainfall data, it will not save the county.rf
or .idf file. I am not sure of the difference. Can anyone help?
Thank you.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

On a more basic note, to answer your question as to file differences between the .rf and .idf files. The .rf files are the average rainfall values for different year storms for a particular area. I have copied this file and edited it to include only the counties in which I work. Unfortunately, LDD will only recognize the original "County.rf" name. Therefore, rename the original to "County_orig.rf" and your copy to "County.rf". Be sure to leave in the same directory as that's where the program is going to look. Keep a copy of your edited file (now named "county.rf") in another location as every new upgrade or install will wipe this out and you'll have to recreate it. I keep a hardcopy in my CAD binder.

Now, the .idf is an Intensity, Duration, Frequency file that can be developed manually or as output of storm data from another program. Either is viable, you just have to tell the program which one you're using.

Finally, make sure your paths are correct for your data sources. When you tried to save the .rf file, where was it trying to save to? Make note of that directory, and make sure your data support paths match under "options".

I have tested the TR-55 portion of the LDD package against manual calculations and was pleased with the results. With careful output file editing, you can create a number of "storms" to test your design.

Mark D. Premo, P.E., Civil Engineer II
Onondaga County Department of Transportation
421 Montgomery Street
Syracuse, New York 13202
Phone: 315-435-3176
Fax: 315-435-5744
markpremo@ongov.net
Message 4 of 4
fritz1

Thank you both for the information.
Fritz.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report