Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track where layers are referenced?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Steenix
2650 Views, 7 Replies

How to track where layers are referenced?

I am going through our Civil 3D template and purging all layers we do not use. However, there are four assembly layers AutoCAD won't let me delete, but I cannot find any style or object referencing them. If it matters, the layers are C-ROAD-ASSM, C-ROAD-ASSM-BLIN, C-ROAD-ASSM-OFFS, and C-ROAD-SCTN-DIAG. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: Steenix

Out of the box Civil 3d has no means to track where layers are being used within styles.
They can be deleted using LAYDEL command but a better option would be the LAYMERGE
command, this way they can be merged to another layer, preferably layer zero.

The third party SincPac3d by quux software has the ability to track layers in use within styles using the "CivilStyleProperties" command.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
DaveM
in reply to: Jay_B

I have Sinc Pac and did not know it had that capability. Thanks, that may be useful, until know I always did the layer merge.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 4 of 8
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:
They can be deleted using LAYDEL command but a better option would be the LAYMERGE
command, this way they can be merged to another layer, preferably layer zero..

Be careful when using LAYMRG in Civil 3D. Styles that reference a layer deleted by this method are left with no layer, because LAYMRG doesn't know to fix C3D style references.

An Audit is necessary to fix this.

nolayer.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
Be careful when using LAYMRG in Civil 3D. Styles that reference a layer deleted by this method are left with no layer, because LAYMRG doesn't know to fix C3D style references.

An Audit is necessary to fix this. 

Normally I track down the layer within the C3d Styles before deleting it as opposed to deleting or merging layers and wasn't aware of this issue.

Thanks for the tip, it seems both LAYMRG and LAYDEL behave the same in that the LAYER s blank.
Running an Audit does populate the layer zero using each method here.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 8
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the tip, it seems both LAYMRG and LAYDEL behave the same in that the LAYER s blank.

I'm 99% sure these old "bonus tools" were never updated to be aware of the civil styles portion of the drawing db. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 8
Steenix
in reply to: Steenix

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I really appreciate it 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Colin.GaudetGBKQ4

The CIM Manager Suite by CTC Software has a purpose built tool for this called Template Tracker. It has saved me days of time hunting for layers and setting up templates. 

https://ctcsoftware.com/product/cim-manager-suite-2019/ 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report