Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up large design files (Operating way too slow currently)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
hidale
2025 Views, 9 Replies

How to set up large design files (Operating way too slow currently)

Hey Guys,

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to organize my civil 3D drawing files more efficiently.

I've been using civil 3D for about 2 years now, and learned, for the most part, how to use most of the design elements of the software.

Because i've started utilizing more of the software features (multiple surfaces, alignments,  profiles, corrdors, plan and profile sheets, etc.) i've found that my design files are starting to get bogged down and are becoming a pain to deal with because they run way too slow.

This has become a real headache when i'm trying to clean up my sheets, adding details, etc. and getting them ready for submittal.

I'm wondering if any of ya'll could point me in the right direction to maybe a thread/tutorial or have any advice on how to setup my design files to run more efficiently.

I've tried using data shortcuts before, but only for surfaces. I've poked around a little and read where folks suggest also putting alignments and corridors under data shortcuts as well. 

However, i'm concerned that switching between multiple drawing files to adjust specific elements of the design that I'm using as data shortcut's will become confusing/frustrating very quickly and leave room for errors.

Any help anyone could provide would be fantastic.

The specs of my machine/software are as follows:

Civil 3D 2012 Infrastrucutre Design Suite 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz (4Cpu's)

Ram: 8 GB

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 2GB

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: hidale

The  Best Practices Guide is a good reference for this topic.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
jmayo-EE

I would never recommend that all data be in a single dwg. Here is a sample project data set broken down into components. This is up for lose interpretation as larger project will benifit from more separation of data than smaller projects.

Use base maps for the existing data. One file for parcels, one for topo, perhaps one for utlities/pipes, one for key map, one for trees/vegitation. In the design stages, one file for grading, one for soil movement/erthworks, one for SESC, one for lighting, one for property subdivisions. Again a lose interpretation based on needs.

All or some of these files get xref'd into sheet files. Also use dref's in the sheets when needed.

Xref's and D'ref improve performance.

If all your project data is in one file and that file becomes corrupt you lose everything. If one file in the project above gets corrupt you lose a small portion of your work.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I agree with Jay starting you off with the Best Practice Guide. It's good reading. The project above losely follows them as well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
dgorsman

Along with the other suggestions, I'd increase RAM to 12 or 16 GB.  Civil3D is a very data-intensive program and your current setup is pretty minimal for basic Civil3D work, let alone large projects.  For seriously large scale work, consider using 3 or 4 x 8 GB sticks (for a total of 24 or 32 GB) *after* you check what your motherboard can support.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 10
ericvallejo7526

Data Shortcuts and X'REF's are your friends. See attached for how our firm manages Civil 3D drawings. In our "DWG" folder you will notice we have a "Source" folder specifically for any drawing that will be used to reference data shortcuts (surfaces, alignment, profiles, pipe networks) or simply X'REF'd.......EXCEPT for our "Survey" drawings, in which the same rules apply, only they have their own folder. Our "Design" or "Plot" drawings will reference ALL of said data. The reason we manage our drawings as such is: A) to simplify each drawing, B) reduce the file size of our Design/Plot drawings C) allow for multiple users to work on the same project at the same time and D) to preserve the overall product in the instance of drawing corruption (As John Mayo Suggests). Of course, this works for us and may not be ideal for all users; but I assure you, it took a while to define (and train) how we manage all of our Civil 3D drawings and files. Hope this helps! Good Luck, Eric Vallejo, LSI Missman, Inc. C3D 2014 SP1 Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Message 7 of 10
hidale

Thanks guys, these are all great suggestions and have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

I hope to make a little more time in the next few days to begin testing some of these methods.

Message 8 of 10
normans
in reply to: ericvallejo7526

Was there something that was supposed to be attached? or were you referring to the message text afterwards?
Civil 3D 2015 SP 2, 64 bit
Dell Precision T5600, 16 GB
Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 9 of 10

see attached...hopefully and below for more readable message...not sure what happened in previous post!?

Data Shortcuts and X'REF's are your friends. See attached for how our firm manages Civil 3D drawings.
In our "DWG" folder you will notice we have a "Source" folder specifically for any drawing that will be used to reference data shortcuts (surfaces, alignment, profiles, pipe networks) or simply X'REF'd.......EXCEPT for our "Survey" drawings, in which the same rules apply, only they have their own folder. Our "Design" or "Plot" drawings will reference ALL of said data.
The reason we manage our drawings as such is: A) to simplify each drawing, B) reduce the file size of our Design/Plot drawings C) allow for multiple users to work on the same project at the same time and D) to preserve the overall product in the instance of drawing corruption (As John Mayo Suggests).

Of course, this works for us and may not be ideal for all users; but I assure you, it took a while to define (and train) how we manage all of our Civil 3D drawings and files. Hope this helps!

Good Luck,
Eric Vallejo,
LSI Missman, Inc.
C3D 2014 SP1
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Message 10 of 10

Nice setup. Similar to what we do but we don't normally break the DWG into sub folders. I can see where that would have advantages though.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report