AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 1 of 6 (423 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to make a smaller surface

423 Views, 5 Replies
07-26-2012 09:22 AM

I've downloaded a DEM and made a surface from it creating a HUGE file. I only need about an eighth of that area. How can I crop the surface to be a smaller area?  I realize I can create a boundary, but I really don't need all the data outside the boundary.... I want a smaller file so it doesn't have to create one of those *.mms files.

Surely I don't have to export the boundaried area as triangles to a regular ACAD file, then make a surface from those triangles... do I? Not that it's that big of a hassle, but seems like a roundabout way of doing things.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 2 of 6 (422 Views)

Re: How to make a smaller surface

07-26-2012 09:44 AM in reply to: hardin

Use a data clip boundary.  You may have to change the order of operations in the Definition tab of your surface properties however.

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 3 of 6 (416 Views)

07-26-2012 10:02 AM in reply to: sboon

That did it. Thanks. It's amazing what's "hiding" under those flyout options. And yes, I did have to move the boundary to the top of the heap in the Surface Properties > Definitions tab. Thanks again.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 4 of 6 (405 Views)

07-26-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: hardin

Steve's advice is likely the correct one for your situation, but also keep in mind, if you need the huge surface, but want another dwg which includes a smaller portion, that there is a crop surface tool as well.

Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Employee
ian.mcgregor
Message 5 of 6 (331 Views)

08-02-2012 06:08 AM in reply to: mathewk

Hi

Instead of duplicating the surface (data) and cropping a copy, how about using data shortcuts for that. Keep the source drawing with the superset of the required data and data clip in a shortcut reference drawing, then you only hold the data once get the best of both worlds and keep the drawings dynamic to a single data source.

Just my $0.02 on a hypothetical scenario :smileyhappy:

Ian McGregor
BIM Technical Consulting Manager
Autodesk Consulting EMEA
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 6 of 6 (316 Views)

08-02-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: ian.mcgregor

Hello Ian,

Not sure that I understand what you're proposing.  If the OP uses a data shortcut to get the surface from another drawing then he will get the entire surface referenced in.  I'm not aware of any way to apply a data clip boundary - or any other type of edit to a referenced surface.

Please clarify.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.