Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a corridor top surface split by material

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ouspensky
552 Views, 6 Replies

How to generate a corridor top surface split by material

I do a lot of visualization work I need a corridor top surface split by material FAST.  before I used Corridor Solids but I don't have the extension in 2013.  So I export to CivilView, so far so good, then attempt to roundtrip the mesh back in Civil3D and that is where things fall apart.

Export to DWG is not split by material

Export to 3DS results in a blank screen

Export to FBX comes in missing large chunks of mesh out of scale and in the wrong location

what is the magic answer to the this question?  and as a corallary what is the right way to import an FBX without all the horrid errors?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: ouspensky

Create a corridor surface for each link.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 7
ouspensky
in reply to: BrianHailey

is there something I don't understand???  when I click that button it generate a ONE surface from whatever link code is current in the drop down menu.  the surface that is create has all kinds of extra triangulation in concave regions.  it doesn't seem any different than the other create surface button to me.

Compare this to Corridor Solids which generates a solid for each code WITHOUT any extra artifacts in a single click with materials assigned.

Compare this to CivilView Meshes which are a single mesh with multiple materials in the faces in a single click WITHOUT any artifacts.

I don't have the time to trace out the boundary for every surface from link-code.  especially since there are already two functions that can already split surface by material AUTOMATICALLY.

what is the solution for a corridor topsurface split by material that works at the speed and efficency of CORRIDOR SOLIDS and CivilView meshes????

Message 4 of 7
BrianHailey

@ouspensky wrote:

is there something I don't understand???  when I click that button it generate a ONE surface from whatever link code is current in the drop down menu.  the surface that is create has all kinds of extra triangulation in concave regions.  it doesn't seem any different than the other create surface button to me.

It definitely works differently for me. See THIS.

Doesn't sound like it's the answer you are looking for but it's the best I know of.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 7
ouspensky

It doesn't work.  in the video pressing that button generated multiple surfaces in mine pressing that button only generates one surface.  how to fix that?

Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey

Just to confirm, you have multiple link codes in your corridor, correct? Did you create the assemblies using only generic links? Can you show a screen shot of the codes tab on the corridor properties showing all the links in it? Not sure why it's not working for you.

If possible, can you share your drawing?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
ouspensky

yes multiple link codes

created assemblies with generic and non-generic link offsets and link to marked points and custom subassemblies from SAC

attached my codes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report