Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract XYZ info from lines on a surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JimFowle6045
1868 Views, 3 Replies

How to extract XYZ info from lines on a surface

Hello,
I have some topo drawings (contours with Z elevations) and am trying to create lines representing where we did our field work. I then want to extract X, Y & Z coordinates of points along those lines (either where they cross the contour lines or at regular intervals along the lines that I create). I can create surface(s) of the topo that I have, but my questions are what kind of lines would be the best to use to represent our lines of field work (3D poly lines, feature lines, or alignments) and once I get those laid in, how do I extract the XYZ info into a text format of some kind (excel, csv, etc.)?
Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rendarin
in reply to: JimFowle6045

Correct me if I understand correctly, you have a Surface and want to determine the elevations (and horizontal positions) along an arbritrary line?

You can create an alignment and make it generate a surface profile. You can then make databands that show the Northing, Eastings, and Elevations at a given interval.
Message 3 of 4
Neilw_05
in reply to: JimFowle6045

I suggest drawing your lines as polylines. Next use the Map Cleanup tool to break them where they cross the contours and  rejoin them using the Dissolve Pseudo option in the cleanup tool settings. This will result in polylines with vertices at each contour. Next create COGO points on the polylines either at a desired interval or at the vertices using the point creation tools. Set the elevations of the points from the surface and export them to a file.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 4
JimFowle6045
in reply to: rendarin

Your understanding is correct. Thanks for your help.

What I was hoping to do is get that XYZ info into some kind of tabular
text format (excel, text, etc.). Can that be done utilizing the info
from the databands?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report