Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw a 3d pline at a designed grade on a surface

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2236 Views, 13 Replies

How to draw a 3d pline at a designed grade on a surface

Hi to everyone,

Is there a way to draw a 3d pline at a designed grade on a surface, using a feature line or something else?

I have found at http://www.dotsoft.com/mapworks.htm the tool named "GRADE POLY", but I would like to check if Civil 3d has something like that.

Thanks for any reply!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Draw the feature line and set the grade with the elevation editor tool

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The problem is that I want the feature line to be on the surface and with a specific grade starting from a 

specific point.

Message 4 of 14
Jeff_M

Dotsoft's tool is the only one I'm aware of. Nothing like this is built in to C3D.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 14
gknobbe
in reply to: Jeff_M

you can use the draw feature line and this will give you all the options that you want, pick point, slope, grade, elevation, elevation from surface

from the command line

Specify start point:
Specify elevation or [Surface] <0.00>: 1200

Specify the next point or [Arc]:
Specify grade or [SLope/Elevation/Difference/SUrface/Transition] <0.00>: -2

Specify the next point or [Arc/Length/Undo]:

Message 6 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: gknobbe

Knobby:

Pick a point on a mountain side and give it a 3% slope and it draws an alignment down the the mountain on the surface.

Apparently this is what the OP wants.

Bill

Message 7 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I dont see that as a problem; place the feature line on the surface extract the elevation and set the grade

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

wfberry you are right.

This is what I want to do and I beliave that only Dotsoft's tool can do it (see attached image).

Thanks all for your interest!

Pantelis Kouskoutis

Message 9 of 14
TerryDotson

"I don't see that as a problem; place the feature line on the surface extract the elevation and set the grade"

The problem is that the coordinates of the next vertex are not known.  Consider the picture below.

Grade Poly Example

The user knows the starting point (bottom of the map) and the acceptable slope (in this case -10% downhill).  From the starting point there are two solutions, one to the left and one to the right (as shown).  The routine follows the surface and generates the results which would lay on the surface as if you walked downhill and laid string along the path.  The routine stops when it can't continue on the designated slope.

I have attached the contours as a drawing so you can try your technique.

Message 10 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: TerryDotson

OP said<Is there a way to draw a 3d pline at a designed grade on a surface, using a feature line or something else?>

Thats a great routine Terry! Do you have one help decipher what the OP is asking?Smiley Happy  Evidently I'm the only one that didn't get it? How'd you all understand that the question was to generate a switch back path,  from the question?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
neilyj666

I was also confused as to the OP's request - but the Grade Poly routine looks good

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 14
Jeff_M

Joe, the key for me was "designed grade ON a surface"...and, I recalled seeing similar questions in the past, one of which (I believe) was the motivation for Terry writing his routine.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff. I would have understood "find" a path on a surface to satisfy a design grade, but like the old slogan says "Reading is FUNdementl". Smiley Very Happy

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Guys thanks a lot for your replies and sorry for the tricky question. I didn’t know any other way to write it down. I have started to work with dotsoft mapworks addon, because civil 3d doesn’t have the capability to do something like that.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report