Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design a fixed number of berms/benches for a corridor

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ksunkara
4008 Views, 13 Replies

How to design a fixed number of berms/benches for a corridor

Hi,

I am designing a highway at a hilly terrain (steep slope) in Civil3D, where I need to use the berms for the Daylight. As per my design criteria, I can use only 7 number of berms from the ditch location (CUT) and there after it should go and tied to the natural ground level (existing ground) with the cut slope and the same condition for the FILL also..

Curently, I am using the sub assembly "Daylight with multiples benches" to have the berms with the Daylight, but the problem with this assembly is it keeps on creating the berms (more than 7) until it touches the existing ground.

Does any one have an idea how to fix the number of berms with the subassemblies available in Civil 3D?

Thanks and Regards,

Krishna

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sboon
in reply to: ksunkara

The only way that I can see to do this is with a linked series of Conditional Cut and Fill subs.  For this example I am assuming that the height between benches is 8m

1) Starting at the road shoulder - first test to see if you're in cut between 0 - 999m If YES then build a ditch, then add two more Conditional subs in step 2

2a) Test for cut of 0 to 8m  If YES then daylight to EG with no bench since there isn't a need for it.

2b) Test for cut of 8 to 999m If YES then build a slope link 8m high and a bench link.

3) Copy all of the subs from step 2 to the outside of the bench link, so that the assembly will repeat the process.  Repeat this for all 7 benches

4) Add a daylight link from the final bench to the surface.

5) Add another conditional sub at the shoulder to test for fill between 0 - 999m  If YES then build a fill slope.

Capture.JPG

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 14
ksunkara
in reply to: sboon

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the reply.

The solution (Conditional Cut  or Fill) that you have provided me is available only with Civil 3D 2010 version and currently I am using Civil 3D 2009.

How can I solve my problem in Civil 3D 2009 version?

Once again thank you so much for the reply,

Krishna

Message 4 of 14
sboon

About the only choice I can see for you in this situation is to have two assemblies - one which uses the DaylightBench sub for areas where the cut is seven benches high or less, and another which uses generic links to draw seven benches and then daylights from there.

You are going to have to split the corridor into many separate regions at places where the height of cut goes above or below the limits, and apply the appropriate assembly for each.

Or you could upgrade to the current version of Civil 3D Smiley Happy

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 14
ksunkara

Thank you Steve

Is there any option to download the Conditional Cut or Fill assembly from the internet??

I came to know that using "Autodesk Subscription Center website", we can download this assembly.

Is this true??

Thank you for the reply..

Krishna

Message 6 of 14
jmayo-EE

If you have a Subscription account you can download the conditional assemblies. Log on to the Subscription Center, on the right pane of the page click the link for Downloadds. On the next page there is a link for Product Enhancements in the right pane again. Look for this Subassemblies for AutoCAD Civil and Civil 3D 2009.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
ksunkara

Dear Steve,

As you said, I have downloaded the conditional cutorfill asembly from the subscription center.

Upon using this assembly, I have the following queries:

I have given the following conditions after the cut ditch:

Step1:

a. If Cut is 0 - 10 m then daylight to EG with a cut slope of 1 H:4 V.

b. If Cut >10m , then cut the ground with the slope of 1 H:4 V upto 10 m height  then provide a bench of width 4m (slope  of -10H:1V)

Step2:

Then again I used the the same condition as mentioned in Step 1 immediately after the bench.

(Here I have provided 2nd Bench by repeating Step 1)

Step3:

I used the same Step 1 for providing remaining 5 benches.

Step 4:

At the end of 7th bench, I  have given the condition i.e., daylight to EG even if the cut is 0-999m (without benches it will touch the ground)

When I ran the corridor with the above assembly, It is placing all the 7 benches through out the corridor, even though it requires 1 bench or 2 benches or the height is less than 10 m.

When the height of cut is less than 10 m before the 1st bench it should provide daylight to EG with cut slope of 1H:4V without providing any benches. But this assembly is providing all the given conditions.

Am I doing anything wrong??? Please clarify...

Can you advice any individual cut subassembly without any details of fill??? all the daylight subassemblies are the combinations of cut and fill. Please advice.

Thanks,

Krishna

Message 8 of 14
sboon

Hello Krishna,

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears to me that your benches and daylight subs are not attached to the conditional subassemblies correctly.  I've built a simplified example here with only two benches, and made sure that the conditional subs are a different colour for clarity. 

Capture.JPG

As you can see there are two conditional subs attached to the shoulder.  The first one tests from 0 to 10 while the second tests from 10 to infinity.

I have attached a LinkSlopetoSurface to the end of the first conditional sub.  It only gets built if the 0 to 10 test passes.

I have attached a LinkMulti to the end of the second conditional sub - to build the slope and the bench.  It - and all of the subs attached to it will only get built if the 10 to infinity test passes.

At the outside of the bench I have repeated the process, by attaching two more conditionals, with the slope subs attached to them.  You can repeat this process until you get to the seventh bench, and then add an extra LinkSlopetoSurface to finish.

When you're building a linked series of repeating conditional subs like this it is often a good idea to start small.  Just add the first two tests and their attached slope subassemblies, and then check the corridor to see if you're getting the correct behaviour.  If that works then you can copy the subs to build the rest of the chain.

If you want a simple daylight sub then LinkSlopetoSurface is a good choice - it only needs a slope angle and a target surface to work.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 14
ksunkara

Thanks Mr. Steve. Its working now. Thanks again for the detailed description.

Regards,

Krishna

Message 10 of 14
igi_pop

@sboon wrote:

The only way that I can see to do this is with a linked series of Conditional Cut and Fill subs.  For this example I am assuming that the height between benches is 8m

1) Starting at the road shoulder - first test to see if you're in cut between 0 - 999m If YES then build a ditch, then add two more Conditional subs in step 2

2a) Test for cut of 0 to 8m  If YES then daylight to EG with no bench since there isn't a need for it.

2b) Test for cut of 8 to 999m If YES then build a slope link 8m high and a bench link.

3) Copy all of the subs from step 2 to the outside of the bench link, so that the assembly will repeat the process.  Repeat this for all 7 benches

4) Add a daylight link from the final bench to the surface.

5) Add another conditional sub at the shoulder to test for fill between 0 - 999m  If YES then build a fill slope.

Capture.JPG

As soon as i start a reply to a topic, i see that it has aged a bit 😄

I'm building a dam, that brought me here. i like your solution..

Aaaand i'm guessing my question would have a similar answer:

Daylight bench seems to be THE tool, but my first drop to berm has a vertical deflection different than the second drop to berm. the last slope is no issue as i have only those three, third will hit the dig. On civil 2013, 2014 available.

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 11 of 14
sboon
in reply to: igi_pop

The thread is older, and so am I.  Post a sketch of your typical section, so that we all know what you're trying to do.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 14
igi_pop

@sboon wrote:

The thread is older, and so am I.  Post a sketch of your typical section, so that we all know what you're trying to do.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

again me with my errors in posting, just do it so rarely..sorry. here's a sketch!

Even tho 1st phase is visible, the downstream side of the second phase, the one with the vertical deflections to berm, is the one i'm after. Daylight benches works like a charm - if vertical deflections are the same. But they're not. And, as usual, the dam loses a slope as she aproaches either flank, eventualy bot slopes..

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 13 of 14
Yongatamba1
in reply to: jmayo-EE

THE PAVEMENT OR LANES AND SHOULDERS ARE NOT SHOWING IN CROSS SECTION VIEW AFTER BUILDING A CORRIDOR USING CONDITIONAL SUB ASSEMBLIES IS SHOWN BELOW 

1 MEANING 

Message 14 of 14
sboon
in reply to: Yongatamba1

You are posting a question in a thread that is five years old.  Your question has almost nothing to do with the original topic.  Please start a new question.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report