Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with visibility point label styles thru an X-ref

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
grafp
3235 Views, 26 Replies

How to deal with visibility point label styles thru an X-ref

When we create Civil plans for our projects we always keep separate model files for the survey, demolition plan, site plan, utility plan , & grading plan, etc. When then X-Ref these drawings together in various combinations together to create our sheets (layouts). I assume most civil engineering firms follow this practice.

When don't have a survey department, so our topographic survey drawings come from various companies. Lately we have been receiving survey files created with Civil 3D. Most all the time the survey point symbols and the label styles are on the same layer. When we reference the survey files in our various sheets we do not have the ability to "turn off" the point labels as needed.

I have searched this group trying to find solution to this problem. Most of the replies talk about using point groups and a label styles to control visibility. How can this be done when the drawing files are X-Referenced? Plus, other disciplines are X-Referencing the Survey files as well, and only have plain AutoCad with the Object-Enabler loaded.  On top of all this, most of the survey point symbols are blocks that have a color assigned to them, preventing them to be "gray scaled" in thru the X-Reference.

The only way I have resolved these problems are to redefine the blocks and label styles within the Survey file. Unless I am missing something on how Civil 3D works, I guess I need to make sure the surveying firm creates the point & labels styles on separate layers and define the all block colors to either "bylayer" or "byblock"?

Paul

C3d 2010

P. Graf
C3D 2009 & 2010
Windows XP
3 GB ram
intel Core 2 Duo
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
jmayo-EE
in reply to: grafp

If it is not our survey work we ask for an xml file of the surface and 2d linework and text for the property and topographic surveys. We do not request or need their point objects specifically if we get the surface, syms and text labels.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 22 of 27
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ralstogj

Me 2.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 23 of 27
LeafRiders
in reply to: jmayo-EE

That's nice, I was commenting for others sake who use these forums as a reference to finding solutions for potential issues.

The focus should be on what your subject line indicates, not a sub-topic that was introduced halfway though. Partially my fault for commenting on other's comments vs. sticking to what my main question is, and that's the visibility of points and point labels through and XREF. Maybe it's best to open a new thread since we're off on a major tangent.

Message 24 of 27
DRW_CAD
in reply to: LeafRiders

Major tangents, wait that's my job description. Sorry.... couldn't resist.

Message 25 of 27
_Hathaway
in reply to: DRW_CAD

As many have stated, get your DWT setup the way you want it to function.  During your contract negotiations with the surveyor indicate in writing what they need to provide.  If they do not provide the product per the contract send it back.  After all, they are working for you.  You should not have to manipulate the data in any way beyond cosmetic layering changes so the survey data shows up correctly in your design product.

With that said, we have our own in house surveying (me) that sets up our survey data, labels, styles, etc.....  In civil3d we have a text layer and a point layer for each description code this allows us to freeze the text or symbols independently of each other. 

My 2 cents....

Message 26 of 27
LeafRiders
in reply to: _Hathaway

I'm not exactly sure how extensive your surveys are.

If you're dealing with an existing site survey, with above and below ground locates, combined with a road survey... You're talking upwards of at least a 150 possible point descriptions and having a layer for both "point-description" and "point label-description" is not going to happen. High probability your drawing file would even open at that point.  Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 27
_Hathaway
in reply to: LeafRiders

Off topic, but that's precisely the type of work we do, our DWT has 517 layers all with appropriate filters to quickly turn things off and on.  You may have misunderstood.....we have a separate "SYMB" layer for each code that requies a symbol.  This is controlled by the description key set and then a separate "TEXT" layer that  contains the point number, elevation and code' which is controlled by the label style.  It works just fine and allows much flexibility in displaying points, markers, symbols and text.  Working on a site project right now with over 7000 surveyed points.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report