Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control plot style of blocks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
csevers
907 Views, 6 Replies

How to control plot style of blocks

So i've got a profile of a waterline. To show my valves, bends, tees, etc. I made a style for each and used null structures set to no plot for my plan view and made blocks for each appurtenance to be projected for the profile view.

This job is going to bid with two separate contracts and there is one sheet of overlap. I need to show some pipes and appurtenances proposed on one sheet and existing on another.

The one problem i'm having is controlling the plot style of the blocks in profile view, I've tried changing the structure style, making a new layer putting the block on that and changing the layer plot style, everything I can think of. I need it to be controlled via a vp plotstyle setting because I have another sheet where it needs to be displayed differently.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
troma
in reply to: csevers

If you make a new layer and a new block and a new structure style it should work.

1. Draw the linework in a new block on the new layer.  Usually I would put all linework inside a block on layer 0 (zero) but not in this case.  Make sure everything is colour "ByLayer" and on the new layer.
  2. Make a new structure style using this block in profile view.
  3. Put the required structures on this style.
  4. Control the colour by setting the vpoverrides for the colour of your new layer.
  5. Repeat as necessary for valves, bends, tees etc.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 7
Jay_B

Another way to accomplish this is to go to the "Pipe Networks" tab of "Profile View Properties" and just switch between your Proposed & Existing pipe & struc styles. We do this a lot without using VP overrides.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 7
csevers
in reply to: troma

Why is it necessary to put the new block on a new layer and not layer 0? I originally made all the blocks on layer 0 because I thought that would allow me to control the plot style of the block bylayer. I kind of thought that was the purpose of layer 0, that it acts as a sort of neutral layer for objects that have parts on a bunch of different laters.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 5 of 7
csevers
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes, but that would require switching all the pipe and structures styles each time I want to plot a phase I set and a phase II set. That's what i'm trying to avoid, manual changes everytime I want to plot a different phase's set.

I also realize the simplest way would be to do a save as, then I'll have to make twice the changes everytime (daily) there are changes though.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 7
Jay_B

I see, I didn't catch the "phases" or constantly evolving nature of your workflow.

Not aware of any efficient workflows for that scenario if we are talking daily.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
troma

Generally, yes, layer 0 is best.  But in the C3D styles world, this allows the colour to be controlled by the style.  Again, generally this is best practice.  But here we have a specific case.  You want the one block to show up as a different colour in two different viewports concurrently.  You can't do that with a C3D style AFAIK.  But you can do it with a layer colour and vplayeroverrides. So putting the linework on the layer and using the layer to control the colour gives you the extra control you need for this problem.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report