AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 11 of 14 (162 Views)

Re: How to an alignment and profile from a 3d spline?

04-10-2012 05:36 AM in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

engrtech wrote:

Seems like there should be a much easier way to use a 3d spline/polyline to accomplish the same task.  In fact, I think having a 3d polyline or spline would be much better and easier to use as a baseline in a corridor than the two separate entities of alignments and profiles.  I know that's how road design has been done for eons, but internally it would be so much easier to program and just do a type of sweep/loft along a path similar to how 3ds Max could do a road.

The problem with that is we typically Engineer things in the Civil world.  And for that, it is by far easier to use the 2-1/2D paradigm (e.g. horizontal layout + elevation) vs. a true 3D paradigm.  Artists and machinests find it easier to use the true 3D, but when it comes to a construction project, true 3D can greatly increase the complexity while not really helping.

Same thing with splines, even in 2D.  They're a lot more complex a geometric figure, and make land work much more difficult.  There's the raliway and highway curves, but those tend to be described in a rather simplified form that limits options, and makes it possible for computers (including calculators, data collectors, smart phones, etc.) to do those calcs with a minimum of input.  Using free-form 3D splines makes for a lot more complicated possibilities, creating difficulty for everyone who must then build your design.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.  I meant having the coding and such inside Civil 3D use splines or 3d polylines, but we still input the design as civil engineers have done for ages using the 2.5D paradigm.  Seems like it'd just make it easier for corridor modeling if it's a spline/3dpolyline as a baseline and you sweep/loft the cross section on it.  From there, extract the information you need for EOP (ETW), BOC, daylights, etc.  

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014
Civil 3D 2014 x64
Testing IDSP 2015
Windows 7 64-bit
6GB RAM
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 12 of 14 (154 Views)

04-10-2012 11:21 AM in reply to: engrtech

3D Polylines cannot have curves.  And 3D splines are a more-complex geometrical figure, that cannot be labeled the way we wish in a 2.5D paradigm.

So why use 3D splines if you're already in a 2.5D paradigm?  I don't see it as being "easier".  In fact, I see it really complicating issues.

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
wfberry
Message 13 of 14 (141 Views)

04-11-2012 05:33 AM in reply to: Sinc

"ARCH A teks" use splines, Engineers do not.

:smileywink:

Bill

*Expert Elite*
wfberry
Message 14 of 14 (140 Views)

04-11-2012 05:33 AM in reply to: wfberry

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs