Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How point are listed

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jmclefresh
237 Views, 4 Replies

How point are listed

Yesterday our field crew called the office for control. I was out, so one of the designers opened the current TOPO drawing to find the coordinates. He opened the project and read the numbers as they were listed. The survey crew, of course, took them as NE. How else would they be. He setup using the points as they were read to him. The back site was an offset intersection with two SI’s 1.09” apart. He asked for the SI that aligned with the street he was working on. He started to check his setup and that’s when the problems started. Nothing fit, nothing matched, back to the phones. More time lost, more time wasted. Surprise, the “Panorama” had the columns in Easting, Northing. I have since moved them and they are now Northing, Easting. I have been told that one move will change any and all places that I could list points. I will forever see nothing but Northing, Easting. I have some swamp land for sale----. I don’t know any Surveyors that works in Easting, Northing. This is a CIVIL program, why would Autodesk ever sell a program that list Easting, Northing out of the box, LDD didn’t. Side note: I’m still trying to find that a light switch that has “TRUE” and “FALSE” printed on it instead of “ON” and “OFF”. As in Civil 3D dialog boxes, “Do you need to have that layer turned on, “True” or “False””.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: jmclefresh

I'm betting two things will happen from this experience. From now on, that designer will make **** sure he knows which is northing and which is easting. And that party chief will never again leave the office without loading his points.

As for "True" and "False" settings, Autodesk is too busy creating new bugs to correct its stupid syntax. Smiley Wink

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Pointdump

From what I've read, outside of North America easting then northing is the default standard for coordinate files.  Most of the Lidar data files we receive are ENZ space delimited and I'm sure that there are other sources of data that use the same convention.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

Yes - Eastings are ALWAYS quoted before Northings; end of debate....!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: neilyj666

Neilyj,

"Yes - Eastings are ALWAYS quoted before Northings; end of debate....!!!! "

You've got a point. Every math class I ever took used (X,Y) to list coordinates, so I was always baffled by the use of (N,E). However, y'all are still driving on the wrong side of the road. Smiley Wink

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report