Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the Autosave function supposed to work?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
johnthoreson
1864 Views, 8 Replies

How is the Autosave function supposed to work?

2013 C3D crashes on me a little less than once a day.  Fatal errors and recoveries are also quite popular.  Today, the crash took Windows 7 down with it too - a rare treat.  

I have Autosave set to 20 minutes and also have the box for creating a backup file with each save checked under Options > Open and Save.

When Drawing Recovery Manager opened today, the dwg I was working on says it was last saved over 1.5 hours ago.  The bak file was last saved yesterday.  Usually, there's a sv$ file, but not this time.  The sv$ file is typically the most up-to-date file.

Shouldn't I see a "last saved" time and date of about 30 minutes ago for my dwg?  Same for the bak file?  Is there some other variable that I need to set?  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sboon
in reply to: johnthoreson

There is a known issue with the Publish command that may be causing your problem.  When the Publish operation is running the Autosave function is turned off to avoid conflicts.  Sometimes the Autosave is not reset properly, so it stays off.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 9
neilyj666

get into the habit of using ctrl+s to avoid problems.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 9
shunter62

Your Temporary File folder may be full of clutter & old files. If you are saving every 20 minutes in an 8 hour workday, that's 24 files per day. That's a lot of old stuff.

If you are a fanatical housekeeper and your temp files are removed often, then apologies in advance. Happy New Year.

Message 5 of 9
johnthoreson
in reply to: shunter62

Thanks everyone for your input.  Sounds like it could be a number of things.  Using Ctrl + S more often is probably the best workaround.

Message 6 of 9
KirkNoonan

After crashing, it doesn't hurt to verify that your autosave setting (among others) is still the same as you intend it to be. Sometimes settings will change after (during?)a crash. Autodesk likes to test us like that.

Message 7 of 9
MSBryan

Here's a link to some potential procedures that may help alleviate some of the pain in this process.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Automatic-Save/td-p/2394334

Message 8 of 9
johnthoreson
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Good point.  I've noticed that often the FILEDIA variable resets itself to 0 after a crash.  

As for Autosave, I'm trying out leaving it off and relying on using Ctrl + S instead.  During the last couple of crashes where Autosave was on and appeared to be working (in the middle of a command the program would pause while it saved), when I restarted the program the Autosave files that I thought were made 15 minutes ago simply weren't available.  

Message 9 of 9
johnthoreson
in reply to: MSBryan

Thanks for the link!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report