Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create a 3D polyline from a 2d plan & profile

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1017 Views, 5 Replies

How do you create a 3D polyline from a 2d plan & profile

All my offshore alignment sheet drawings are not BIM, are all 2d plan & profile and have no survey points. I need to create a 3d polyline from the plans & profiles.  None of the routes are anywhere near being straight. It certainly is a pain doing it manually; 3drotating the profile, copy/pasting the Z from each vertice from the profile line to the corresponding vertice on the plan pline if there is one. Is there a Civil 3d function that will help with this process  Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KirkNoonan
in reply to: Anonymous

In 2011 and 2012, you can create a feature line along an alignment using elevations from a profile. Seems like that would eb the easiest way to tackle it.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

What do you mean by "2d plan & profile" - where is this data coming from?  LDC, Carlson, hand drafting?   "no survey points" means no surface?  Is any of it avaialbe as LandXML?

What version of C3d are you using?  Why do you need to creat a 3d poly?  Are you trying to make a surface?

It'll help if we have more data.

Thanks

Reid

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

These "Plan & Profile" drawings have come from various vendors, mostly Acad, but some converted MicroStation. The plan views are usually geo-referenced, but none of the linework has elevations and there are no surfaces. They are no "Civil 3D" objects. In the drawings that actually have a profile drawn, it is only a graphic representation. I need to load the centerlines into PODS and PODS requires a 3d Centerline.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I'm not a power C3d user, so I don't think there is a "automated" way for C3d to do this.

If I had to do it, I'd look at creating a C3d alignment, and then a C3d rpofile using the data provided.  Then a 3d featureline could be created & exploded to 3d poly.

Reid

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Modesty is a nice quality, Reid. But we know who's who Smiley Wink

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report