Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you all move you c3d template forward?DWT & UNDO

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Joe-Bouza
850 Views, 11 Replies

How do you all move you c3d template forward?DWT & UNDO

VIA a SR I was advised noted to open the earlier version and save. I was actually advise to start anew. How do you all do it?

It seems my 2012 saved forward screwed up 2013 & 2014 UNDO

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mathewkol
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

RECOVER the earlier DWT as many times as it takes not to find any errors.  Then save.  No problems as of yet.   Starting from scratch would be crazy unless there were serious problems with the DWT.  Way too much work.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 12
jporter

Other options...

1. First save a backup of your current DWT file. Then, in the new software, open the DWT file and save it. It's now in the new format. Some might disagree with this method if you 'be got a lot of customization in your older DWT file.

2. In your older software begin a new, blank drawing from your DWT file. Save it, and close it. Then launch the 2014 software from its standard NCS DWT file. Insert and explode the first drawing into your new 2014 drawing. All your older styles should then be in your new drawing. Save file as your new DWT.

3. Launch your 2014 software. Use the import styles and settings tool on the manage tab and navigate to your older DWT file. Once all the styles and settings have been imported you can save the drawing as a DWT file.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 4 of 12
troma
in reply to: jporter

I used Matt's advice when I moved from 2011 to 2013. I've found some problems with some labels: they've added more settings and interpreted my old settings wrongly. I forget the specifics, but it wasn't too bad.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

Hows your UNDO in 13?
create a new drawing, draw a line, pan zom a few times and inspect the undo arrow and tell me if you have an inordinate number of grouped commands

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

No errors in the 2012 dwt found. when I save to 2014 the UNDO buffer fills up with hundreds of group commands. This does not occur in 2012 only 13 and 14 after, update, insert or import of styles.

I went out of my wat not to deploy 2013 because of this now I have the same proplem with 2014. I cant ceate all my styles again - I feel trapped here.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Cadguru42

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Hows your UNDO in 13?
create a new drawing, draw a line, pan zom a few times and inspect the undo arrow and tell me if you have an inordinate number of grouped commands

I just did in 2014 with SP1 using the default template that comes out of the box. I created a polyline, zoomed a bunch, panned a bunch, and now my undo dropdown shows 7 (Group of commands). I went back, panned two more times, now the undo shows 10 Group of Commands. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 12
Joe-Bouza

@PorterCAD wrote:
Other options...

1. First save a backup of your current DWT file. Then, in the new software, open the DWT file and save it. It's now in the new format. Some might disagree with this method if you 'be got a lot of customization in your older DWT file.

2. In your older software begin a new, blank drawing from your DWT file. Save it, and close it. Then launch the 2014 software from its standard NCS DWT file. Insert and explode the first drawing into your new 2014 drawing. All your older styles should then be in your new drawing. Save file as your new DWT.

3. Launch your 2014 software. Use the import styles and settings tool on the manage tab and navigate to your older DWT file. Once all the styles and settings have been imported you can save the drawing as a DWT file.

Hope this helps,

Jason

In principle all these methods work. However no matter how I convert or bring in my styles the UNDO gets fouled up

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
jporter

i see that as well.  Sorry , I never noticed it.  I see the "Group of Commands".  I've seen these before while working on projects.  I've not see them them when I begin a new drawing though.  But  I've never really payed attention to it either. 

I began a new drawing in 2014 using the template I created in 2012, saved it as a new DWT file.  Then I began a new drawing in 2014 based off that new DWT file.  I drew a couple of lines, moved, copied, erased, blah, blah, blah. . .I'm getting the "Group of Commands" when I UNDO.

I began a new drawing 2014 using the standard NCS template.  I repeated the same process and I still see the "Group of Commands" after I UNDO a few times. However, I did notice that I got a "Group of Commands" before the drawing even bagan.  Take a look at this image. . .you'll see that even before the ribbon is loaded it's makes a place holder for it:

Group-01.png

I dont' think the issue is isolated to the migration of the older file.  I think this is how 2014 is designed.  So what are these "Group of Commands"? ? ? ? ??

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 10 of 12
Joe-Bouza

I'm talkin Hundreds of group commands on our system hundreds! Essentially undo is moot.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
jporter

Well, then, that's definitely an issue.  Though I'm not getting hundreds, I do see a few.  I think it might be caused by the panning and zooming.  I've done some and I see more appear.  I also see that this appears to be an ongoing issue that Autodesk knows about:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Undo-command-doens-t-work-in-the-right-wa...

Autodesk responded in this post.

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 12 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Thanks. My sanity is returning. It appears to be the pan zoom using the mouse wheel. Keyborad commands do no over populate the UNDO buffer

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report