Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove curves from my alignment?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
lohrmach
41910 Views, 18 Replies

How do I remove curves from my alignment?

I have alignment with 2 curves at the beginning and end that I want to keep. It has a few PIs in between ke that are not supposed to have curves, but Civil 3D added them in (very short 200 ft radius curves), but I need to take all but the first and last curves out. 

I tried setting Constraint Editing - toggled OFF lock all parameter constraints.  Then I went into the data and tried to change the parameter.  Can't get the curve out.  Is there a way to convert a PI from one with a curve to one without a curve?

I can't afford to redraw this alignment - it's being referenced via Data Shortcuts to multiple drawings being used by me and my designer / already has my design profiles and existing profiles attached to it.

How to do this?  -  Delete the curves and make them PIs only? (without curves)

Lohrmach
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: lohrmach

Select the alignment, Edit Alignment Geometry for the ribbon or right-click menu, on the alignment layout tools toolbar select Delete Sub-entity, select the curves to remove. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 19
owenmull

@lohrmach wrote:

I have alignment with 2 curves at the beginning and end that I want to keep. It has a few PIs in between ke that are not supposed to have curves, but Civil 3D added them in (very short 200 ft radius curves), but I need to take all but the first and last curves out. 

I tried setting Constraint Editing - toggled OFF lock all parameter constraints.  Then I went into the data and tried to change the parameter.  Can't get the curve out.  Is there a way to convert a PI from one with a curve to one without a curve?

I can't afford to redraw this alignment - it's being referenced via Data Shortcuts to multiple drawings being used by me and my designer / already has my design profiles and existing profiles attached to it.

How to do this?  -  Delete the curves and make them PIs only? (without curves)

Typically, when I draw an Alignment, I do it one of two ways:

-Draw a polyline and do 'Alignment from Ogjects'

-Draw by PI (not by line entity)

When you created your Alignment (Im guessing from Object) there is an option for Cad to place a 200.00' radius (by default) between two tangents. This is checked by default (only God knows why, if you would have wanted it that way, you would have drawn it in that way).

To edit your Alignment and remove the offending PI's, click on the Alignment, then go to your ribbon and select 'Geometry Editor'

In the toolbar that pops up, there are several options. Use the 'Delete PI' option to delete the offending PI's. You also can re-insert PI's, curves, spirals, tangents, etc. to manipulate the Alignment to what it is you are trying to achieve.

See the pic below.

Geometry Editor

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: Jeff_M

When I  Delete Sub-entity, Civil 3D removes the curve and replaces it with a PI appropriately in all except 1 case.  In that case, the command breaks my alignment and makes the PC the end of the first alignment segment.  Leaving the curve in on that one for now - not a big deal, but curious why it might have behaved differently on that PI/curve.

Thanks - very helpful to know what Delete Sub-entity is for.

Lohrmach
Message 5 of 19
lohrmach

Ah - it's behavign differently because I had changed the Curve Parameter Constraint in the table editor.  Not sure how to set back to Radius.  That doesn't appear to be one of my options.  I only have the following to choose from:

Three point,

Center Radius,

Center Pass Point.

Leaving that curve in for now, but would like to figure this out eventually to remove for final design.

I also tried locating the PI manually,  inserting that, then removing the sub-entity.  It still created a break in my alignment and an "EP" at the previous PC location.

Lohrmach
Message 6 of 19
owenmull

That very issue is why I like to create my Alignment by PI's, rather than mixing and matching PI's and linework entities. If you lay it out completely by PI, you can edit it completely by PI. If you lay it out using sub-entities, you can edit it using sub-entities.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

You can grip edit the tangents. If you end up with a gap, drag the tangent ends to the intersection of the tangents (you may need to draw some temporary linework in order to snap to an intersection). Onc eth etangents connect, the alignment will be 'whole' again.

EESignature
Message 8 of 19
BrianHailey

You can also hold the control key, select the curve, and then hit delete on your keyboard. That's even easier than going into the alignment editing tools.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 19
Red.Hawk

Thank You sir 🙂

Message 10 of 19
jtscott

Be careful if you decide to delete the sub-entity as Jeff_M describes. It will also delete any sample lines after that station. I followed this suggestion of removing curves and then dragging the nodes back together and while it was super easy and the alignment did "suck" back together, it did delete my sample lines and consequently, my cross sections. Luckily I didn't put a whole lot of work into the sections, but I will have to recreate them.

Jeff_M seems pretty knowlegeable about much of C3D, is there a way to remove the curves but keep the alignment intact? Similar to how you would fillet a polyline with a radius of zero or simply remove the curve with the tangents joining at the PI?

Message 11 of 19
StumpMasterFlex

Thx. Works Great.
Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil Design Technologist (Exploration Technologist)
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
32. GB
64-bit Oepration System, x64-based processor
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 12 of 19

You sir, are awesome!! Thank you!

Message 13 of 19
mlamei

highligThat is aproblem relate to your tangents defined passing through two points which are actually not the tangent intersections, but curve ends. You should extract the coordinates of the intersections of your tangents. TThenyou should highlight-select the alignment. In the alignment ribbon select geometry editor. Select the sub-entity editor, change the Pass Trough Point1 and Pass Through Point2 of each tangent to be the intersections of the tangents. Then the alignment will behave well.
Message 14 of 19
BrianHailey
in reply to: mlamei

@mlamei: Alternatively, you can go into the alignment properties and turn on the Implied Point of Intersection. When you do this and select the alignment, you'll see a grip at this apparent intersection. If you click the grip, it will solve the PI and extend the lines to that point automatically for you.

2017-08-09_0923

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 15 of 19

This seems to be the best option, as you will not be required to redo any cross sections from detaching and reattaching. Thank you sir!

Message 16 of 19
carlos.chuecos

Good morning Jeff.

Sorry I'm changing the topic because I'm not familiar with creating blogs and I see you are good at Civil 3D.

I'm using Civil 3D 2020, and would like to know, if possible for you, how I could convert block with attribute to cogo point, or, to create a csv file with all the information the block with attribute has.

My problem is, I am receiving shape files from an alignment. I use the work flow of converting these shape files in blocks with attributes, but the info they bring is not ease to deal with. If I can extract this info to a csv file, I can create Cogo Points and deal with all the information easily.

Thank you, and hope this reach you and you are able to say something.

Message 17 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: carlos.chuecos

@carlos.chuecos adding to a solved post with an unrelated query is a good way to have it not seen. A new post would be much better.

For your blocks to cogopoints, use DataExtraction to get the data into a csv file which can be imported for cogopoints.

EESignature
Message 18 of 19
granat1

AND ALL YOUR SUPERELEVATION ARE DESTROYED

Message 19 of 19
dabail
in reply to: BrianHailey

Awesome.... worked like  champ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report