Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I lengthen an existing ground profile in an existing profile view?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
BWYarger
4965 Views, 13 Replies

How do I lengthen an existing ground profile in an existing profile view?

I thought I had plenty of existing ground in my profile view, but the project was lengthened yesterday by several hundred feet.  I have profile views built for my needs, but the existing ground stops short and I need to lengthen it.  The alignment is long enough, but the existing ground profile stops short of the end of the alignment.  The existing ground surface extends way past the end of the alignment.  I also have a pipe network that is stopping short in one profile view, but it is visible in others.

For consistancy with others, I am using C3D 2012 on this project.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: BWYarger

The way I see it you have 3 options:
1 Send the surveyor out and get more data
2 Extend your surface using ficticious data that you create (points, breaklines, etc)
3 Manually draw the extended profile and everything that depends on it
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 14
Jeff_M

Neil, Brad said the surface extends past the end of the alignment.

Brad, as long as the profile was created by sampling the surface, and the profile is set to update dynamically, it should extend to the end of the alignment automatically.

4-26-2014 9-06-03 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jeff_M

I think he meant the physical ground extends past the alignment but his data does not. How would you handle that Jeff?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hmm...I can see it your way as well. Let's see if your solution works.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 14
BWYarger

I have the survey data, and could wipe out the profile view and start over to get the longer existing ground alignment, but I would think I could lengthen the profile range without such a drastic approach.  The profile properties, profile data tab shows the profile ending station at 324+00, but below in the parent alignment the end station is 324+81.93, and I have survey data and an existing ground surface that extends another 200 - 300 feet east.  I would like to just edit the profile ending station to match the alignment, or at least go to 324+50, but I can't edit it there.  The update status is set to dynamic, but that only applies to the portion that is in the range specified.  Do I need to erase the profile and view and start over, or is there an easier way to lengthen the existing ground?

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 7 of 14
Neilw_05

By default any time you extend an alignment the profile should extend along with it. That includes sampled surfaces. So if the alignment is within the surface you should see it in your extended profile. You must have done something to your settings to cause it to not update. Try creating a new profile view with a style that has not been customized and see if it functions properly. If it does then compare the settings.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 14
mathewkol

Edit the properties of your profile. It will state how much of the alignment is sampled. And just to make sure we have correct terminology, do this to the profile, not the profile view. This will deternine if your profile actually samples your entire alignment. If it isn't and it's set to dynamic, set it to static, hit apply, and set it back to dynamic.

Then eedit the properties of the profile view, stations tab. If it's set to automatic and it's not showing the entire length of the profile, there's something weird going on. Try setting it to manual and manually enter the end station. Then set it back to automatic.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 14
BWYarger
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks for your suggestions.  I tried them, but they didn't work.  I have attached a screen shot.  All I want to do is to edit the end station for the existing ground profile by 50 feet, but I can't.  Can others do this in their C3D profile properties for existing ground? 

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 10 of 14
Jeff_M

If you supplied a station other than the alignment end station when you created the surface profile, it is locked to that station. Just delete the eg profile and create a new one. It will automatically be added to the profile view. Do not specify stations, allow it to be created from start to end.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 14
sboon

Jeff spotted the answer before I could post it, but the clue is in the screenshot that Brad posted.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 14
Neilw_05

Well done Jeff. I would never have thought of that because I have never had a reason to set a hard end station for a sampled profile.

Did you have a particular reason for doing that Brad?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 14
BWYarger

I got in the habit because some of the other alignments were a mile long, and the project is a quarter mile, so y took up four times as much screen space in some cases that wasn't necessary, especially when we didn't have survey for the entire mile.  In hind sight, I probably should have let the profile view control the limits and left the profile limits set to automatic.  This started as a 700' turn lane job, but the grading and drainage took over the project due to a utility conflict that gave us a very narrow area to put the road side ditches and pipes.

For the next question, I think the aligments were that long to tie them back in to survey monuments.  I recieved the mainline centerline alignments as part of the survey, which was done by another company.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 14 of 14
Neilw_05

I can understand your reasons. I have a similar situation on a current project. So I assume you had to limit the lengths of your profile views anyway since you didn't want them to span the entire alignment. This was a good learning experience.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report