Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out where a sphere and surface intersect

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
CivilDavid
1829 Views, 9 Replies

How do I find out where a sphere and surface intersect

I want to draw a line from the center of this sphere to where the sphere and TIN interesct, any ideas?

Sphere.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
NathanBee
in reply to: CivilDavid

Sorry I can't help, but just want to say it looks like an Interesting job. Something like off The Simpsons movie even. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 10

What exactly are you doing?  It does look really interesting, but I'm not sure exactly what you want.  Can you clarify what you mean by "where the circle and TIN intersect?  Do you mean the edge of the sphere, or is it a solid sphere?  You said you want to draw a "line," but it seems like you could draw an infinite amount of lines from the center of the sphere to points where the sphere and TIN intersect.

I look forward to finding out more!

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Slice?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 10

In 2012 there is the Visibility Check, Zone of VIsual Influence probably no what you want. Not sure what version it came out with the Subscription Advantage Pack. 

A better way may be to get the Solid Cut Surface for AutoCAD Civil 3D from the Autodesk Labs webpage and then create a hollow sphere half for above the surface and another for the bottom part of the sphere. Then use the Minimum Distance Between Surfaces to get where the two surfaces from the spheres cross the surface.

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Message 6 of 10
sboon

The intersection of the sphere and surface would be an arc draped onto the face of each triangle of the TIN.  The problem is that none of the arcs would be coplanar, so where they intersect at the TIN lines there would have to be a kink.  I tried a few tricks to draw the arcs, or to trim things at the intersection with the sphere but I couldn't figure it out.

Instead of a sphere would a cylinder work?  The intersection of a cylinder and a TIN would be a circle, which can be converted to a featureline and then draped onto the surface.  This gives you something to draw your line to.

Clipboard01.png

Here's what it looks like when I tried it.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 10
CivilDavid

If I can create a feature line from a cylinder and TIN intersection, that would be great.  Trying to create and analyze 'NO FLY' zones.  I need to be able to measure from the center of the 'NO FLY' zone to a point on the ground 4000' feet away.

Thanks for all the tips so far, I will try these out.  How do I create the feature line from the cylinder and Tin intersection?

Message 8 of 10
sboon

You don't need the cylinder, just a circle around your point of interest.  Actually you need to draw an arc of almost 360 degrees, because a circle cannot be converted to a featureline.  Once you have the arc use the Create Featureline from Object command, with the Assign Elevations button checked so that it will be draped onto your surface.

Once you have the featureline you can draw as many lines as you like from the center point out to the edge - then you can select all of them and change their start elevations to match the aircraft location overhead.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
troma

Could you actually build a spherically curved surface?  Obviously not a whole sphere, but the lower portion of it.  Use polylines at an elevation or feature lines?  Maybe curved feature lines with 3DROTATE command to model the vertical curve of the sphere?

Once you have the sphere as a Tin surface, you can do a volume surface between that and your ground surface.  The zero contour is the point of intersection.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 10
Neilw_05

This is a task that would probably best be handled with 3D solid modeling, not Civil 3D. You would need to turn the C3D surface object into a 3D solid or surface and then use the 3D tools in Autocad to find the intersection.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report