Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate an average cut and an average fill on a volume surface?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Lieblaw
2793 Views, 5 Replies

How do I calculate an average cut and an average fill on a volume surface?

Is there a command or procedure I can do, besides entering in all the values from a elevation grid) to find the surfaces' average cut and the average fill?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: Lieblaw

Extract the zero contour and use it to work out the total area of cut and area of fill.  Open the statistics tab on the surface properties dialog.  Somewhere in there will be the cut and fill volumes.

Volume / Area = average depth.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6
MMINC2012
in reply to: Lieblaw

I too am looking for a command to do this rather than calculating this by hand. In the past when using Carlson SurvCADD its volume report gave more data than Civil 3D. Like: avg. cut, avg. fill, area of cut, area of fill, cut/fill ratio. I do not see where the volume dashboard does this anywhere. Am I missing something ? I am new to Civil 3D, it seemed like a major personal accomplishment just to get the reported area units from sq ft to acres.

Message 4 of 6
Lieblaw
in reply to: sboon

It seems to have worked as I was able to go through user contours on the volume surface and throw one in at zero elevation.  I then extracted the user contour lines and used a lisp routine (TADD) to find the total area of all the "0" elevation lines.  I used my volume cut and fill volumes and divided them into the "0" elevation area total and it gave me an answer I than multiplied by 12 and had my average cut and fill in feet.  Thank you for the help and it worked, just had to go through a lot of work to get there...Nonetheless, thank you for the advice!

Message 5 of 6
Lieblaw
in reply to: MMINC2012

If there was a command to get all this information than I'd love to have this too!  Perhaps this is an item for the Autodesk Wish List...

Message 6 of 6
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: sboon

An easier way to get the areas would be to do an Elevation Analysis and then use the Elevation Analysis Table to get the area for the Cut and the Fill. You still have to do the average. 

Here is a blog post with images: http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2018/02/average-cut-and-fill.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report