Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I trim a cut surface against an OG surface?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Lieblaw
881 Views, 5 Replies

How can I trim a cut surface against an OG surface?

I'm trying to trim my cut surface to my OG surface and I am wondering how to create this boundary where the cut surface daylights to the OG.  Is there a faster way than to just create 3D Poly lines and try to use the apparent intersection command when free drawing in the 3D polyline?  I essentially want to create a boundary where the two surfaces intersect...what's the best/fastest method to do so?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Lieblaw

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a screenshot?  But I'll offer a few thoughts in the meantime.

I *think* you're saying that the "cut surface" is your PROPOSED surface. 

How was the surface created?  Corridor?  Grading objects/featurelines?  If the latter, you should have a daylight featureline that you can use as your boundary.  If the former, you can set your corridor to use the daylight feature line as the surface boundary.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

method 1 make a new surface:= FinalGrade >> paste OG into >> paste the cut surface in that order

method 2 (if cut surface include the fill area - presumably) make a volume surface of OG vs cut surface. generate user contour at 0 elevation>> use this as a clip boundary for the cut surface

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Lieblaw
in reply to: doni49

Thank you for the welcome.

The "cut" surface is my proposed surface.  It was created using contour lines with a stepped offset into several benches on a rock blasting proposal.  I didn't use a corridor but I know it "can" be possible but for time's sake, the contour lines were used.  We're essentially blasting a road with terraced benches through a large rock formation.  As I'm typing this, it seems a corridor will be the most useful in creating the benches and daylight areas as desired....but if I continue to use my contours for my proposed surface, is there a command or method to create an assumed break in each of the surfaces where the proposed surface daylights the OG?  Perhaps I'm dreaming...

Message 5 of 6
doni49

How do you define WHERE the daylight is?  If there's a feature line there, then that's (part of) your boundary line.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 6
Lieblaw
in reply to: doni49

It has been figured out...we used MINIMUMDISTBETWEENSURFACES and it gave us the "line" (boundary) we were after.  Thank you for your quick replys and it helped me fidn the answer.  Cheers to you all!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report