Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I start alignment and profile from a minus number?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Bin2009
2231 Views, 14 Replies

How can I start alignment and profile from a minus number?

Hello,

I am doing crossing drawing, I created alignment and profile use CIVIL 3D, but I need set 0+000 on the center of my alignment and profile, where is the corossing ceterline location, so my alignment and profile have to be start with a minus number. But, always, when I creat alignment, it start with 0+000, if I set up start number to for example, -0-750, my profile will only start from 0+000, the first 750m profile will dispear.

Please help me if you know how to show profile in minus side.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: Bin2009

Bin2009 wrote:

But, always, when I creat alignment, it start with 0+000, if I set up start number to for example, -0-750, my profile will only start from 0+000, the first 750m profile will dispear.

Please help me if you know how to show profile in minus side.

It works fine in the attached tutorial drawing. I set the -7+50 in "Alignment Properties" as shown by entering -750 in the Reference Point>Station: box.

station.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 15
MikeEvansUK

I generally drag the alignment to start at zero then add a line from where the negative value to zero is. This helps with labels, also superelevation & snapping in profile views as it will draw a horizontal geometry grid line.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 15
Bin2009
in reply to: Jay_B

Hello, Jay,

Thank vert much for your reply,

I used same way as you set up reference point to  -750,(see attachment: set_up _start_point_to_0.png)

before the drawing is looks like attachment: Alignment_start_with_0.pdf

after I change, the drawing like attachement: Alignment_start_with_minus750.pdf

It still missing the profile form -750 to 0.00.

Please look my drawing and help me figue out.

I only have Civil3D 2012, can not open your DWG file, could you please save as lower revision, I will be able to look your drawing.

Message 5 of 15
Jay_B

Here's a 2012 dwg.

Post your drawing here so someone can take a look.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 15
ccoles

It appears as though the profile for the surface is not dynamic, but static in the profile view. You may need to build the surface profile again, making sure it is added as dynamic so any additional changes to the profile stationing will update automatically.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 7 of 15
Bin2009

I didn't creat surface, I use a 3D polyline creat alignment and profile, because I only have the N. E, and elevation of the points along my pipeline, don't have survey data.

Here is my drawing, 

Thanks

Bin 

Message 8 of 15
Bin2009

Yes, I looked your drawing, it looks work well, maybe I need build surface first.

Thanks.

Bin

Message 9 of 15
Jay_B

Recreate the profile from the 3D entity used, without a surface it's not going to dynamically update

when the alignment is changed. The 3d entity used for profile didn't appear to be in the drawing.

I was able to get the entire profile length to appear but have no way of verifying if the profile is at the

correct elevations and stationing. The profile view drirection was flipped from right to left to match

your stationing.

I've attached the drawing but again it may not even be close to correct.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

@mikeevans wrote:
I generally drag the alignment to start at zero then add a line from where the negative value to zero is. This helps with labels, also superelevation & snapping in profile views as it will draw a horizontal geometry grid line.

Hi Mike

I cant vizualize what you describe, but it sounds interesting. got a picture to help?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
ccoles

I agree with Jay_B. You will need to re-project the 3d polyline to the profile if you make any changes to the alignment, especially the stationing. Projecting objects to the profile is not dynamic, and will not change to match the alignment edits.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 12 of 15
Bin2009

Hello Jay,

I checked the profile you created is correct, could please let me know how to "Recreate the profile from the 3D entity used", Thank a lot.

Bin

Message 13 of 15
Jay_B

@Bin2009 wrote:

I didn't creat surface, I use a 3D polyline creat alignment and profile, because I only have the N. E, and elevation of the points along my pipeline, don't have survey data.

I was referring to the original 3D polyline you mention.

Get the alignment stationing as desired and recreate the profile using your previous steps and 3d polyline.

The problem is when the alignment stationing is changed after you've created the profile using this method

the profile isn't dynamic.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 14 of 15
Bin2009

Hello Jay,

Thank for your reply, and sorry for that I reply so late.

Now my friend told me a way to creat profile with minus start point, after I change start point refrence point, use commond `projet object to profile`, then I click the new Alignment, I will get the profile start with minus number.

The reason I didn`t use the way as you said ``recreate the profile using your previous steps and 3d polyline`` . because the way I use for creat profile from 3d polyline is quite complex. what I use is:

1. use the excel file with N. E. Elevation to creat 3d polyline,(the excel file with N. E. Elevation is only thing I have)

2. use ``quick profile`` to get a temparary profile

3, export Landxml file from the profile

4 import this landxml file to civil 3d, get an alignment, then use the alignment to creat a rofile.

so if I use the same way to creat profile, always I got profile start with 0+000,

I don`t know what way you use to creat profile from a 3d polyline.

Thank very much,

Bin

Message 15 of 15
Jay_B

@Bin2009 wrote:
The reason I didn`t use the way as you said ``recreate the profile using your previous steps and 3d polyline`` . because the way I use for creat profile from 3d polyline is quite complex. what I use is:

1. use the excel file with N. E. Elevation to creat 3d polyline,(the excel file with N. E. Elevation is only thing I have)

Bin,

I don't normally create profiles from 3d polylines as in our workflow we almost always create an Existing Surface.

In that case I would import the 3d polyline landxml >Convert that 3d polyline to a Feature Line using "Create Feature Line from objects", offset the Feature Line 10 meters or so left and right.

Then Create an EG surface from these 3 feature lines and along the centerline of your alignment the elevations will be correct, sample an existing ground profile using this surface. 

This will allow for the alignment start station to be adjusted as desired.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report