Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I put a dashed underline under mtext? or regular text?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
tworzella
2539 Views, 20 Replies

How can I put a dashed underline under mtext? or regular text?

Our CSM drawings require dashed lines under certain text, but just drawing a line under it is proving problem some when using in different annotative scale pages.

Thanks,

Todd

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
johngordon6189
in reply to: tworzella

You would have to draw the line and adjust the linetype scale of the line to accommodate the scale of the sheet.
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 3 of 21
tworzella
in reply to: johngordon6189

Yes, but the line stays the same length as the text gets bigger or smaller with the scale changes.

Thank you,

Todd Worzella

Todd Worzella - Senior CADD Technician/IT Support
[ToddWorzellaBC]

Connect with us: [LinkedIn] [Facebook] [gplus-28]

Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended for the recipient only. If you have received this e-mail in error please disregard.
Message 4 of 21
johngordon6189

Yes, you would have to adjust the length of the line to suit the scale. That's the only way I know of putting a dashed underline upon text.
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 5 of 21
twilkinson

If your CAD standards allow you to use PSLTSCALE = 1, do it! This makes linetypes draw the same at all annotation scales. Unfortunately, if you aren't consisitently using LTSCALE = 1, you will run into problems as it is a drawing wide setting.

Todd
Message 6 of 21
Joe-Bouza

Just a stab in the dark: Perhaps an annotative multileader defined with a block of the dashed line attached to the landing might work. Or a annotative dyno block with a multiline attribute.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 21
vlsheehan
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

How about an annotative block with attributes or maybe a dynamic block?

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 8 of 21
tworzella
in reply to: vlsheehan

Can you get the dashed underline to automatically adjust to the length of the text?
Message 9 of 21
SkipBurns

You could use a Civil 3D Note Label.

Message 10 of 21
Joe-Bouza

Hi Vincent

Whats your question?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 21
vlsheehan

No question really. I'm thinking this can be done with an annotative block with attributes or maybe a dynamic block.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 12 of 21
Joe-Bouza

Me too. maybe you didn't realize you responded to my post suggesting the same 🙂
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 21
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Just a stab in the dark: Perhaps an annotative multileader defined with a block of the dashed line attached to the landing might work. Or a annotative dyno block with a multiline attribute.

That would still require manually changing the line length to match the attribute (text) width which the OP has already said he's looking to avoid.

I *think* that an add-in could be written to do it.  But it would require a lot of background overhead and I would question its value.

This add-in would have to get loaded with EVERY dwg file.  Then it would register an event handler so that everytime this block's attributes are changed, the add-in would get the new attribute length and change the line length accordingly.

But as I said, I would question its value vs all that added overhead.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 14 of 21
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: doni49

Hi Doni

The idea behind a dyno block is that it maintains the same plotted size regardless of scale. As you can see in the image the visual fidelity for 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200 scale the block resizes as would the anno attribute that would go on top of it. There would be no need to manually resize the line, as you can see. The op would however have to manually adjust the postion based on scale but that comes with the territory of using annotative annything. And yes, with a little more thought the ltscale can be cotroled too

dyno_line.png

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 21
doni49

Ooooohhhh -- I'm gonna have to investigate these.  I thought you were referring to Dynamic Blocks and I had previously tried to something very similar to this using Dynamic blocks (last year when I first got started using them) and when I asked about it, the consensus was that it couldn't be done.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 16 of 21
SkipBurns

I still think a Civil 3D Note Label would be the best bet.  The line can be attached to the text and will always be correct.  See attached image.

Message 17 of 21
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: SkipBurns

I see your point Skip, but the lack of visual fidelity makes it problematic at multiple scales; i.e. various positioning suitable for specific scales
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 18 of 21
tworzella
in reply to: SkipBurns

That works , but they want it to be able to do multiple lines of text.

Message 19 of 21
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: doni49

and here it is with the attribute

dyno_line.png

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 20 of 21
doni49

Joe,

Would you mind posting that block?  I'd to experiment with it.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report