Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make Contour Cutoff at Existing Contour

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bryancollins3174
1310 Views, 3 Replies

How can I make Contour Cutoff at Existing Contour

I need to know how I can get a NEW Contour to cutoff/end at an Existing Contour?  Right now when I add a new 126 Contour that ties into an existing 126 contour at 2 different locations the New Contour encloses itself.  Now why it doesn't do that for the New 125 that is doing the same type thing I don't know (unless it realizes there is another New Contour).  I've attached a screen cap for better understanding. 

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If you turn on yopu surface triangle you will see there is a big flat area inside you 126 contour that causes it to close. You need to add (for the sake of the TIN) a Limit of disturbance feature line or similar data that tells the TIN ther is no 126 elevation. If you drew a fl and extracted existing ground elevation along the fence line it should be a start.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your suggestion Joe, but that didn't work.  I drew in a polyline where the straight line enclosure was taking place, then created a feature line from said polyline and assigned elevations from the existing surface and added to my FG surface as breaklines.  The New 126 Contour still wants to close at the same location.  Any more suggestions?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 4

I presume you 126 contour was digitized in and not the product of a grading. Therefore all the elevation inside your 126 = 126. Looking at you topo image they in reality have to be in between 127 and 126. So, you need to either define elevations between you daylight line or delete the triangles generated betwee the 126 and 127.

Or remove the contour data in this region and great a grading from the daylight line and paste its surface into you fg surface. It all about triangles; clean them up to represent your intent.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report