Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I draw underground ductbanks using civil 3D

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
dilsmails1
8448 Views, 18 Replies

How can I draw underground ductbanks using civil 3D

Hay all

I need an urgent help, how can I draw underground ductbanks using civil 3D. the attached pdf file shows an example of what I need.

Dileep
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
odoshi
in reply to: dilsmails1

You may have a few options. Part Builder to use Civil Pipe Networks, Subassably Composer to use a Civil Corridor or use AutoCAD 3D solid sweeps.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 3 of 19
Joe-Bouza

Duct bank = pipe network.

you have options to draw rectangular, round and elliptical pipes.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 19
graf_p

I've been doing underground electrical duct bank deisigns like this for the past 2 years now. Pipe networks will not work for this application , if you need to show the duct banks with a vertical curve in the profile. Pipes don't bend (with a radius) vertically. I do use pipe networks for the manhole structures & corridor for the the duct banks. It get tricky when when a 6-way ductbank spits off with a 2-way and joins back with a 4-way. Sometimes it easier to just draw in the duct bank "by hand". 

good luck,

Paul

Message 5 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: graf_p

Next option: use alignments ant profiles.

You can create a vertical profile of the DB with curve, etc. Extract the dynamic feature line from the alignment>> use a horizonal grading off the FL to make a dynami surface>> past that surface into a working surface>> raise or lower the DB height >> add that surface profile to the alignment and you will have a dyno duct bank

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
vlsheehan
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I do what Joe does but if I need an object for Navisworks for clash detection, I also extrude the ductback shape along the extracted vertical profile.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 7 of 19
Neilw_05

No need to make a surface. Just use a grading to create the vertical offset and add the grading FL to the profile.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 19
graf_p
in reply to: Neilw_05

I'm having hard time understanding this.. Can you give a little more detail? I would appreciates it very much.
Paul
Message 9 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I guess. I'll stick with the profiles

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
Neilw_05

Here is an exerpt from this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/existing-utilities-water-gas-how-you-doin-it/...

We can utilize a grading and the ability to project a feature line to a profile to create a pipe in profile that remains dynamic to any profile.

Here is the concept:
1) Create alignments from the pipe runs
2) For pipes that follow existing terrain, sample the existing ground surface. For graded pipes, layout a design profile for the pipe run.
3) Create a featureline from the alignment and apply the EG or Design profile
4) Create a grading from the feature line with near vertical slope using the relative elevation option. Set the relative elevation to be the depth of cover to the top of the pipe. For power lines the relative elevation can be in the positive direction.
5) Create another grading from the previous to represent the diameter of the pipe, ie. relative elevation =minus .667 for an 8 in. pipe.
6) Project the feature lines from the 2 gradings to the profile to get dynamic profiles of the pipe. In cases where the diameter varies, apply appropriate relative offsets along the grading for each pipe size.

Here is a screen recording showing the dynamic relationship.

http://screencast.com/t/NzIxOGQzZDM

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 19
graf_p

Thank you.. Can't wait to try this out!
Message 12 of 19

Very good Neil.

I would skip the EG portion and do the whole magilla with a layout profile for the inevitable need to modify it.
Message 13 of 19
graf_p
in reply to: HorizontalCurveGuy

I'm with you HCG.. I would have to use a layout profile with Neils procedure. There are too many underground utilitiies I have to weave over & under.

Paul

Message 14 of 19
dilsmails1

can you please add an exampole file in civil3D format

Dileep
Message 15 of 19
Joe-Bouza

mine uses a surface profile

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
Neilw_05

What version do you have?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 17 of 19
Neilw_05

Frankly I don't think this technique is going to be of much help to you. It is better suited for long pipe runs that don't require a lot of detail. What you show in your example will require considerable detail so you are probably better off just drafting it all manually.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 18 of 19
dilsmails1

Thanks

But it is not fulfilling my requirement, any way to shoe the pipes inside the ducts and clashes. (please see Detail-1,2,3) in the attached pdf) One more doubt about the giving elevations on the future line, I draw a future line and give the elevations in the vertexes, the I went to the elevation editor I wondered the elevations are no relations with the given elevations, I tried two three times but the result is same. What happening there? Any idea?

Dileep
Message 19 of 19
vlsheehan

I usually project the proposed grade from the profile onto the layout then explode that line. I'll then extrude the ductbank section along that line. I know it's not dynamic and I'll have to re-project the line if a change is made but it's not that time consuming. I usually export the ductbanks for Navisworks.

DuctBank.png

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report