Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Is a Sump Inlet Depth / Spread Calculated?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
anthony.olekson
921 Views, 5 Replies

How Is a Sump Inlet Depth / Spread Calculated?

Does anyone know hydraflow calculates depth of flow and spread at sump inlets?  Does it assume that the entire flow is coming from one direction (similar to an on-grade inlet)? Or does it make an assumption about how much flow is coming into both ends of the inlet?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: anthony.olekson

I'm far from an expert, but I think you tell HF the bypass target.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
anthony.olekson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joseph, I think we might be talking about two different things.  I'm trying to understand how hydraflow calculates the depth of flow and spread at a sump inlet (so no bypass).  For example if I had a draiange area that created 4 CFS of runoff, and that drainage area was perfectly symetrical on both sides of the inlet, I would calculate spread and depth of flow based on half of the flow coming into the inlet from both directions....so 2CFS from the left and 2CFS from the right.  Is this what HF assumes? 

Message 4 of 6
wizengr
in reply to: anthony.olekson

I suppose it's best done using Storm and Sanitary Analysis(SSA) to analyse the Bypass Link between the two Inlets. Bypass link may be a Curb and Gutter segment.

Message 5 of 6

I am presuming your question is considering the time of flows to the inlet, whether direct or bypass flows. Based on the help file and test results, the flows simply are added and the spread calculation (modified manning's to solve for depth) generated based on the geometry.

SSA, as someone mentioned, would be a better solution if you're looking to consider travel time in the gutter.

Kevin

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 6 of 6
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

How would you calculate "Time in Flow"? Is there an easy way to have Civil 3D assist with those calculations?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report