Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal Text in Rotate Model view

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
michael.robertson
1363 Views, 7 Replies

Horizontal Text in Rotate Model view

I have an alignment that is basically North/South in direction.  I've created offsets that represent the gutter of a bridge on the alignment.

I've rotated the model view of the alignment using DView & Twist so that the alignment of the bridge is horizontal on the sheet. Is there a way in model view where I can place regular MText (not C3D labels) so that the text will remain horizontal in model view (once I place the text it rotates the same amount as the model).

I'm using Annotative Text and the "Match text orientation to layout" option so it appears horizontal in paperspace but I would like it the same way in model space.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: michael.robertson

It appears that if you use that "Match text orientation to layout" option in the Style, the text will always align with the WCS in modelspace.  Kind of like the way C3D labels in XREFs don't scale right in modelspace...

Sinc
Message 3 of 8

This is where a saved UCS can help greatly. A UCS also works great for dims and hatches.

John Mayo, PE

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: jmayo-EE

As far as I can tell, the UCS has no effect on this...  It seems to rotate to the WCS in modelspace.  Unless there's some trick involved I'm unaware of...

Sinc
Message 5 of 8

Leave the orientate text to view unchecked. Set the UCS and create the text.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Leave the orientate text to view unchecked. Set the UCS and create the text.

Ah, yes.  That's one of the reasons I like having the Sincpac-C3D.  I can check the "Rotate to match DView TWist" option, and then all Mtext, Mleaders, and Dimensions automatically match my DView setting, without the need for setting a UCS.  I don't like using UCSs in C3D, since so many C3D commands don't work right in a UCS.

1012i56AE7DEC2802C37C

Sinc
Message 7 of 8

Excellent response. I knew Sincpak would have a solution. 🙂

I should note that a UCS has done no harm over here in the last decade. You are correct some commands don't work but the UCS should not be set when issuing those commands if you really want it to work.

I think LDD just made the whole industry allergic to UCS's. We had our shots.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

Thanks  for the input, creating a new UCS and changing the MText properties to "Match orientation to layout” to “no” the text came out correctly. Would be nice to figure a way to make set the setting before placing the text instead of having to change it after.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report